Are Cherries Keto? This informative guide will help you to enjoy your favorite fruits while sticking to a keto diet!
Are Cherries Keto?
There are so many different types of fruit at the grocery store, it can be hard to keep track of which kinds you can eat when you’re on a keto diet. Unfortunately, cherries are not keto friendly. The amount of sugar in cherries is too high and adds up to a carb count that is unsustainable while maintaining a keto diet. There’s also a low amount of fiber in cherries, so the net carb count remains high.
Since the sugar and carbs in cherries are natural, it can be confusing as to why this fruit would not fit into any specific diet. Even though the sugars in cherries are naturally derived, you still need to calculate those carbs into your daily carb count. So whether natural or not, all carbs must be added up daily to ensure that you’re sticking to a keto diet. However, there are many types of fruits that you can enjoy while remaining keto. Keep on this page to see a description and recipes below.
Carbs in Cherries
In 1 cup of cherries, there are 24 grams of carbs. The total amount of fiber is only 3 grams, so the net carb count in 1 cup of cherries is 21 grams. One single cherry contains 1 gram of net carbs, so the count is too high to sustainably keep your carb count to a level that is considered keto.
When you’re on a ketogenic diet, you want to keep your net carb count below 50 net carbs daily. Net carbs are calculated by deducting the fiber from the total carb count in an ingredient or recipe. So since a serving of cherries contains almost half of your day’s carbs, you cannot enjoy them while retaining a keto diet.
There are ways that you can enjoy the flavor of cherries without the carbs. Try one of the following:
- Cranberries: cranberries have a similar flavor to cherries and are much lower in carbs, as well as higher in fiber. Cranberry White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies or Keto Cranberry Cheesecake Bars are delicious ways to enjoy this keto friendly fruit.
- To get the flavor of cherry, try a Cherry Extract.
- If you want the health benefits of cherries, consider adding a Cherry Supplement to your routine.
- Sugar Free Cherry Syrup is a delicious and easy way to recreate cherry flavor.
- Kiwi can be enjoyed in moderation on a keto diet. One kiwi contains about 11 grams of net carbs, so it is fairly high, so be sure to only eat in small amounts. Try a Kiwi Cucumber Gin Cocktail for a great keto cocktail.
- Limes are another good choice. They are high in fiber and Vitamin C. In one lime, there’s about 5 grams of net carbs. Add Keto Key Lime Bars to your menu this week.
- Strawberries are another keto friendly fruit. A 1/4 cup has only 2 grams of net carbs. Keto Cheesecake Strawberries or Sugar Free Strawberry Sauce are two excellent recipes containing this keto fruit.
- Raspberries make a great addition to a keto diet. A quarter cup contains only 1.5 grams of net carbs. Lemon Raspberry Chia Pudding is an easy and delicious keto breakfast idea.