This Crockpot Turkey Breast is the perfect foolproof turkey recipe! This turkey breast is smothered in an herb butter and comes out perfectly tender and juicy every single time!
Crockpot Turkey Breast
The great struggle of Thanksgiving is how to cook all of that delicious holiday food with limited oven space. This Crockpot Turkey Breast is the answer to your problem! You can cook an absolutely delicious, super juicy turkey breast in the slow cooker with very minimal prep. This is the perfect recipe for a beginner. Turkey can be tricky because it can dry out quite quickly. This crock pot turkey is a set it and forget it recipe that is absolutely foolproof!
You don’t just have to enjoy this recipe for the holidays. It is an excellent recipe to use for meal prep. You can use this turkey in place of chicken for this cheesy rice casserole, or this creamy delicious soup.
Ingredients for Crockpot Turkey
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this juicy turkey breast. To get the complete recipe just keep scrolling. You will need:
- Turkey breast: you can use bone in or boneless turkey breast in this recipe.
- Butter: use good quality salted butter for the butter rub.
- Fresh Garlic and Herbs: you will need garlic, fresh sage, rosemary and thyme. In addition to the herbs in the butter you can add additional herbs to the slow cooker to increase the flavor even more.
- Dried Spices: paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Zest: orange zest is used in this recipe, but lemon zest is also a good option
- Broth: chicken or vegetable broth is added to the slow cooker to prevent the turkey from drying out.
How to Cook Turkey Breast in a Crockpot
- Combine the garlic, herbs, spices and zest with the softened butter.
- Pat the turkey dry and carefully separate the skin from the turkey. Rub part of the butter mixture under the skin. Rub the remaining butter on top of the turkey breast. Place in a large slow cooker.
- Add the broth to the crock pot (don’t pour it directly on the turkey or the butter will wash off)
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and turn on the low option.
How long to cook Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker
The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the turkey breast. Cook the turkey breast on low 6 hours for a 4-5 pound turkey breast. Cook for 8 hours for a 6-8 pound turkey breast. Check for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Bone in or Boneless Turkey?
This recipe will work for a bone in or boneless turkey. There are merits to both options. Some people thing bone in meat has better flavor. However, a boneless turkey breast is easier to cut and usually makes a prettier presentation. A bone in turkey will take a little longer to cook. Use a meat thermometer and when it registers a temperature of 165 degrees F it has finished cooking.
Should I brine Turkey Breast?
Brining is a process that uses salt water to flavor the meat from the inside out. This process not only adds flavor, but helps prevent the meat from drying out as it cooks. Often times brines add other elements such as sugar, citrus, or herbs.
For this recipe, you do not need to brine the turkey breast. This slow cooking method ensures a perfectly juicy turkey every single time.
Tips for the best Slow Cooker Turkey
- Type of Breast: Skin on turkey breast is recommended because it encases the butter and it cooks right into the meat. However, if you don’t want to use skin on turkey breast this recipe will still work.
- Size of Slow Cooker: Be sure to use a slow cooker that is right for your turkey breast. You want to make sure there is a little room on each side of the breast and that the lid doesn’t directly touch the turkey. This ensures that the outside of the turkey isn’t overdone and dried out before the center is done.
- Thaw: You will want to start with a thawed turkey breast. Be sure you allow time to thaw before you begin.
- Crisp: if you want to crisp the skin just slide it under a broiler in the oven before serving. Watch carefully and remove when it reaches your desired level of doneness.
What should I serve with Thanksgiving Turkey?
- The Best Cranberry Sauce and Cranberry Cheesecake Bars
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole or Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes if not low carb.
- Green Beans Almondine
- Keto Sausage Stuffing
- Garlic Butter Biscuits and Three Cheese Biscuits
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Cranberries and Pecans
Other Crockpot Recipes
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
Crockpot Turkey Breast
- 4-7 pound turkey breast boneless or bone in
- 5 tablespoons salted butter softened
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon each fresh sage thyme, rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon each paprika onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper
- Combine the softened butter with the garlic, fresh, finely chopped herbs, zest and spices. Set aside.
- Pat the turkey breast dry with a paper towel. Carefully seperate the skin from the turkey and rub part of the herb butter under the skin. Rub the remaining mixture over the top of the turkey breast.
- Pplace in a 6-8 quart slow cooker. Add 3/4 cup chicken broth to the slow cooker. Do not pour directly on the turkey or you will rinse off the butter mixture.
- Cook the turkey breast on low 6 hours for a 4-5 pound turkey breast. Cook for 8 hours for a 6-8 pound turkey breast. Check for an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.