This Slow Cooker Chicken Breast recipe is incredibly simple and delicious. A low carb, lean chicken breast recipe that can be served as a main dish or used as the base for numerous other recipes!
There are a lot of chicken breast recipes out there, but few can compete with the versatility of this slow cooker chicken breast recipe. It creates delicious, juicy chicken that can be served as a main dish, but we believe it is at its best when prepared ahead of time and used as the base for other recipes.
The versatility of this recipe makes it perfect for meal prepping. You can make it at the beginning of the week or freeze it to use up to 3 months later! Try shredding or dicing this chicken then turn it into a quesadilla, sandwich, or casserole just to name a few (we’ve given some specific suggestions below).
Preparing this recipe in the slow cooker makes it a very low maintenance recipe. It will only take you 5 minutes of prep. Then it is hands-off and there is nearly zero clean up required!
What You Will Love About this Recipe
- Easy. This is an incredibly simple slow cooker recipe that only requires a couple steps and 5 minutes of prep time.
- Meal Prep Recipe. This recipe is the perfect base protein for so many different chicken recipes and works well when making it ahead of time. This makes it a great meal prepping recipe whether you’re making it at the beginning of the week or plan to freeze it for up to 3 months!
- Healthy and Versatile. A low carb, lean chicken recipe that pairs well with nearly any flavor!
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card below.
- Low-sodium chicken broth: The best liquid for cooking chicken in the slow cooker. Provides extra flavor and ensures a moist, juicy chicken breast.
- Avocado oil: we prefer avocado oil for this recipe but any neutral oil will work.
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, dry thyme, salt, and black pepper
- Chicken breasts, boneless/skinless: Other cuts of chicken can be used but this may affect cooking time. Bone-in chicken will take longer than a boneless cut. Try to use chicken breasts (or the cut of your choice) that are similarly sized for even, consistent cooking.
How to Make Chicken Breasts in the Slow Cooker
In addition to the items listed above, you will need a slow cooker for this recipe. Follow our easy step-by-step guide to walk you through this simple slow cooker chicken breast recipe.
Season the chicken
In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper and set aside. Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and toss with the 2 tbsp oil and the seasoning.
Cook the chicken
Pour the broth into your slow cooker. Then place the seasoned chicken in the slow cooker with the chicken broth and begin cooking on low.
How Long Do I Cook the Chicken in the Slow Cooker?
You will cook the chicken on low for 3-4 hours. Closer to 3 hours if you plan to slice or dice it and 4 hours if you plan to shred it. Once done, shred the chicken inside the slow cooker. Otherwise, you can drain and shred without the liquid.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Reheating Instructions: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave in 30-second increments. If you kept the juices from the slow cooker, we recommend pouring some over the chicken to keep it from drying out while reheating.
- Refrigerator Storage: Allow to cool completely. Then you can store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days. We recommend storing with its juices for maximum flavor, but you can discard the juices if desired.
- Freezer Storage: After cooling completely, you can store this recipe in the freezer for up to 3 months in an airtight, freezer-safe container.
What to do with Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Muffins– Loaded with shredded chicken, tangy buffalo sauce, and cheese! These buffalo chicken bites have just 2 net carbs each and are perfect for meal prep!
- Keto Chicken Salad– The perfect low carb meal prep recipe! About 1 net carb per serving and delicious on a salad, in a lettuce wrap, or atop a keto bagel!
- Chicken Bacon Wrap– A great lunch recipe that is ready in just minutes and packed with protein, this easy keto recipe will keep you going all day long!
- Chicken Alfredo Zucchini Boats– An easy weeknight meal! Stuffed zucchini boats filled with chicken, alfredo and cheese.
Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts FAQ
Yes, this recipe is gluten free if prepared as described. If on a gluten free diet, ensure you use a chicken broth that is gluten free.
Yes, you can use a different cut of meat. Just keep in mind this will affect cooking time. This is also true for bone-in vs. boneless cuts.
Yes, you can easily freeze this recipe. See the more detailed instructions above.
No, we do not recommend using frozen chicken in the slow cooker. USDA guidelines discourage use of frozen poultry in the slow cooker due to the risk of foodborne illness.
Yes! Here is a great air fryer chicken breast recipe.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes
- Keto White Chicken Chili-Loaded with shredded chicken, chilis, peppers and cauliflower rice! At about 7.5 net carbs per heaping serving this is the ultimate creamy keto comfort food!
- Slow Cooker Ginger Garlic Pork Tenderloin– An effortless Asian-inspired dish that is the perfect combination of sweet and savory! Each serving has less than 3 net carbs each.
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken– This chicken recipe is easy, delicious and under 2 net carbs!
- Slow Cooker Carnitas with Jalapeno Slaw– These carnitas are a cinch to make and totally addictive! Top them with fresh jalapeño slaw for the ultimate easy, healthy meal!
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 lbs chicken breasts, boneless/skinless
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large bowl and toss with the 2 tbsp oil and the seasoning.
- Pour the broth into your slow cooker.
- Place the seasoned chicken in the slow cooker with the chicken broth. Cook on low for 3-4 hours. Once done, shred the chicken inside the slow cooker. Or drain and shred without the liquid.
- I would recommend 4 hours of cook time if you plan to shred the chicken, 3 hours if you are planning on slicing or dicing it.
- This is really flavorful, juicy chicken that tastes (in my opinion) better than rotisserie chicken. I shredded it and stored it with its juices for maximum flavor, but you can remove the chicken, shred it, and discard the juices if desire!
- This chicken works perfectly in burritos, soups, pot pies, salads, and numerous other dishes! You can also freeze it for later!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: about 6 ounces cooked chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 10.8gCholesterol: 165.5mgSodium: 584.4mgCarbohydrates: 2.8gNet Carbohydrates: 2.1gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 0.3gProtein: 52.1g