This Cabbage Soup is the perfect choice when you’re in need of comfort food on a fall or winter day! With this recipe, you can be ready to serve in about 30 minutes after only a few simple steps.
If you’ve spent much time on our website, you will know we love our cabbage recipes. There is a lot to love about cabbage. Cabbage recipes are some of our favorite comfort foods.
Another reason cabbage is so great is because of its health benefits. It is naturally low in carbohydrates and full of vitamins in minerals. Cabbage also helps decrease inflammation and improve digestion.
Health aside, this particular Cabbage Soup recipe is a personal favorite because it requires common, inexpensive pantry staples and provides 8 servings. We nearly always have the needed ingredients on hand. If not, they’re easy to find and budget-friendly.
The recipe is even more budget-friendly, considering it provides enough servings for multiple meals. This makes it perfect for meal prepping too. Utilize leftovers for lunch or dinner later in the week, or even freeze in smaller servings to serve up to 3 months later!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Inexpensive. All of the ingredients are common, inexpensive items that you can easily find at your local grocery store without breaking the bank. This recipe also provides 8 servings so you will have plenty of leftovers!
- Hearty. Packed full of vegetables, this soup is a filling dinner option. Cabbage is especially great with several health benefits, such as those discussed above. To make this recipe lower in calories, you could hold the bacon, although bacon does make everything better.
- Easy. With a few simple steps, you can have this recipe on the table in about 30 minutes!
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. Keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card for the exact measurements.
- Proteins: chopped ham and bacon (try pepper bacon if looking for a little more flavor with a hint of heat)
- Vegetables: minced garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, carrots, and of course cabbage.
- Canned crushed tomatoes: for a little extra flavor, try fire-roasted canned tomatoes.
- Beef broth: for the best flavor, choose a high-quality broth.
- Spices: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and oregano.
How to Make Cabbage Soup
Aside from the ingredients listed above, you will need a Dutch oven or large pot, as well as a cutting board and knife. I’ve documented each step so you can easily make this at home! Follow this step-by-step guide to make this vegetable soup in about 30 minutes! Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page for the exact measurements.
Cook the Bacon
Heat a Dutch oven or large pot to medium heat. Add the chopped bacon to the skillet, stirring occasionally until the bacon is crisp. Once the bacon is crisp, use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon from the pot and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Saute the Vegetables
Once the bacon has been cooked and removed from the pot pour off some of the bacon grease if desired. Leave at least 1 tablespoon in the skillet to saute the vegetables. Next, add the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and carrots. Saute the vegetables, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Remember, the vegetables continue to cook as the soup cooks so you do not need to cook them until they are totally soft.
Cook the Cabbage
Stir in the broth, crushed tomatoes, chopped cabbage, spices and ham. Allow the soup to simmer (not boil) for 10-15 minutes or until the cabbage has reached your desired consistency. Then stir the bacon into the soup, and add salt and pepper to taste.
What to Serve With Cabbage Soup
- Keto Dinner Rolls– These keto dinner rolls are so perfectly soft and fluffy you would never guess they are low carb!
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad– This healthy, easy salad is perfect for lunch, potlucks, holiday parties, and more!
- Cranberry Apple Kale Salad– Cranberry Apple Kale Salad is the ultimate Fall salad! Packed with crisp apples, sweet dried cranberries and salty nuts this is the perfect healthy salad recipe!
- Three Cheese Keto Biscuits– Each low carb biscuit is loaded with sharp cheddar, mozzarella and fresh basil for just 2 net carbs each!
- Keto Soup Topper and Garnish Ideas– Add these easy keto soup garnishes, toppers, and sides for a delicious low-carb soup night!
Storage and Reheating Instructions
- Reheating Instructions: To reheat, my preferred choice is heating on low on the stovetop. Stirring intermittently. However, if you’re in a hurry, this recipe reheats well in the microwave. Reheat in 30-second increments until heated to your desired level. To reheat from frozen, allow to thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
- Refrigerator Storage: Allow to cool completely. Then, you can store this soup in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. We like to store leftovers in single serving containers so we can just grab and go!
- Freezer Storage: This cabbage soup freezes well. After allowing to cool completely, freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. This recipe provides 8 servings so I usually store in multiple containers so we don’t have to thaw it all at once.
Tips and Tricks
- Add some kick with pepper bacon or cayenne pepper. Pepper bacon is my personal favorite.
- Personalize this soup with your preference of protein and/or vegetables. Add pulled pork, beef chunks, extra vegetables, or even potatoes just to name a few ideas!
- Easily make this a vegetarian dish. Substitute the beef broth with vegetable broth and hold the bacon and ham. You will also need to use some olive oil (any neutral oil) to saute the vegetables.
Cabbage Soup FAQ
Yes, this recipe is gluten free if prepared as described.
Yes! This recipe freezes well. See the detailed instructions above for freezing this recipe.
Absolutely! Simply hold the bacon and ham. Then you would saute the vegetables in olive oil. Also, swap out the beef broth for vegetable broth.
If you prefer a thicker soup, add a few tablespoons of tomato paste.
- 1 (8 ounces) package of bacon (about 8 slices)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3-4 cups of beef broth (depending on preferred thickness)
- 2 teaspoons EACH onion and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH paprika and oregano
- 1 1/2 cup chopped ham
- Heat a Dutch oven or large pot to medium heat. Add the chopped bacon to the skillet, stirring occasionally until the bacon is crisp.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pot and set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
- Pour off some of the bacon grease if desired, leave 1 tablespoon in the skillet.
- Add the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and carrots. Saute the vegetables, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, crushed tomatoes, chopped cabbage, spices and ham. Allow the soup to simmer (not boil) for 10-15 minutes or until the cabbage has reached your desired consistancy.
- Stir the bacon into the soup, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- You can use a different broth if you wish, such as chicken or vegetable.
- This is a great tutorial to make homemade bone broth, which is excellent in a soup like this.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 229Total Fat: 13.9gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 540mgCarbohydrates: 12.3gNet Carbohydrates: 8.6gFiber: 3.7gSugar: 6gProtein: 14g