Keep your keto soup low-carb without sacrificing the flavors and textures you love! Add these easy keto soup garnishes, toppers, and sides for a delicious low-carb soup night!
Once we get even a hint of chilly weather–I mean, even a tiny little breeze that gives me goosebumps–I start thinking about soup! Brothy, creamy, cheesy, veggie-packed, they all have a home in my kitchen. Because I love so many soups, it was easy for me to embrace the keto substitutions… We do what we have to for what we love, right?
The only thing lacking, though, were the garnishes. Where were my crunchy toppers? My carb-loaded dipping bread? My croutons?! Well, as you know, where there’s a will, there’s a way! So here’s a list of all the delicious, low-carb ingredients I’ve been relying on to take my keto soups to the master level!
Can I have soup on a keto diet?
You bet you can! Of course, you can’t have ALL soups, but there are a ton of small changes you can make in recipes to make a soup keto-friendly! Instead of using potatoes, my favorite Keto Beef Stew uses turnips (you could use radishes or rutabaga, too) to lower the carbs. Even favorites that are normally packed with high-carb ingredients like chili can be made without while still being delicious… If you don’t believe me, just try this amazing Instant Pot No Bean Chili!
Here’s a list of the BEST Keto Soups you can save for chilly nights! Whether you prefer stovetop, slow cooker, or Instant Pot, it has something for everyone!
Keto Soup Toppers to add crunch:
- Keto Tortilla Strips (just cut a low-carb tortilla into strips and lightly toast)
- Cheese Crisps (place small mounds of shredded cheese onto a silicone baking mat, then broil until melted and slightly browned around the edges)
- Toasted Pretzel Bites
- Green onions
- Crumbled bacon
- Sliced almonds or other nuts (smoked or flavored nuts add TONS of flavor, too!)
- Pork rinds
- Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (I prefer toasted, but raw adds good texture too)
- Toasted shredded coconut
- Toasted seaweed or baked green chips (kale, collard greens, etc.)
- Thinly-sliced, toasted or fried garlic
Low-Carb Ways to Add Flavor to soup:
- Shredded cheese (parmesan, asiago, mozzarella, cheddar, etc.)
- Fresh herbs or dried spices
- Heavy cream, crème fraîche, sour cream, Greek yogurt, coconut milk
- Sliced jalapeno or bell peppers
- Oil (high-quality olive oil, chili oil, truffle oil, sesame oil, infused oils, etc.)
- Sauce (hot sauce, pesto, alfredo, etc)
- Avocado slices
- Thinly-sliced deli meat (pepperoni, salami, turkey, whatever works best with your soup flavors)
- Chopped cherry tomatoes (go light to stay low carb)
- Citrus juice and/or zest
- Vinegar (balsamic, white wine, herb-infused, etc)
- Salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole
- Caramelized onions
Sides to Serve with Keto Soup:
I never wanted much with soup except a delicious bread to dip in it! Sometimes I might toast that bread to make crunchy croutons to go on top, too. Luckily, that’s still possible with amazing keto biscuits, breadsticks, and more! Here are some of my favorite combinations:
- These Cheddar Garlic Keto Biscuits are an excellent Red Lobster copycat, perfect with a low carb Lobster Bisque.
- Rosemary Garlic Keto Dinner Rolls give even more great flavor to this Keto Beef Stew!
- Keto Pretzel Bites are delicious with something super cheesy like this Bacon Cheeseburger Soup.
- These Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks are the ideal pairing with the Instant Pot Pizza Soup!
For more keto bread options, check out this list of 30+ AMAZING Keto Bread Recipes!
Best Keto Soup Recipes
Keto Soup Recipes
These Keto Soup Recipes are all hearty, delicious low carb meals that your entire family will enjoy!
This easy Instant Pot Pizza Soup is loaded with meat and vegetables in an ultra creamy broth! At about 7 net carbs per serving this is a low carb soup you'll enjoy all winter long!
This low carb Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup is loaded with tender shredded chicken, spicy buffalo sauce and tons of cheese! Under 5 net carbs per serving and perfect for keto meal prep!
Each generous serving of this Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Chicken has about 4 net carbs! This is the perfect easy, cheesy low carb soup recipe!