Try these Keto Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks for a low carb appetizer or light lunch! At just 1.9 net carbs per breadstick this is a great low carb game day snack!
I have been making these Keto Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks once a week for months now. I cannot believe I haven’t shared them yet! The first time I made an alternative low carb breadstick it was a cauliflower recipe and it just didn’t workout. For a long time I was wary of those veggie and cheese filled keto recipes, but these Keto Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks are everything you want from a low carb appetizer!
How do I make Keto Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks?
This recipe isn’t difficult and has pretty basic ingredients. The only thing “tricky” you might need is to be sure you’ve purchased a low carb (keto friendly) marinara to dip these in. But this is a recipe where the prep work absolutely matters. If the zucchini isn’t completely dry it will result in a very soggy unappetizing bread.
To remove all the moisture I shred the zucchini and transfer it to a good sturdy dish towel (a thin one will be soaked through very quicky) and I squeeze as much water as possible. Then I unroll the dish towel and let the zucchini rest 5-10 minutes and do another round of squeezing.
The second round is where I find the success of the recipe. Even if you believe you have it completely dry the first time after resting there will be more moisture (where does it come from?!)
Take it from me, DON’T SKIP THIS STEP!
Once the zucchini is very dry transfer it to a mixing bowl and add garlic, Italian seasoning, eggs and mozzarella cheese. Pat the dough into rectangle on a greased or silicone lined baking sheet. Take care not to pat the dough too thin. Imagine the texture of a regular breadstick verses a thin crust pizza. If you pat them out too thin you will end up with a thin crispy crust verses a soft cheesy breadstick.
Then bake! The dough is baked just like that for 20-22 minutes until it has dried out and begun to brown. Then top with more cheese and pop back in the oven for 5-7 minutes until the cheese is bubbly.
How many carbs are in zucchini breadsticks?
I sliced these into 12 equal size breadsticks and that came out to 1.9 carbs per stick. I ate three breadsticks, a few slices of salami and a small garden salad for lunch and it was about 8 net carbs and I was very full.
This is the kind of dish you can make a little more substantial if you want by adding meat like some pepperoni slices. If you dip in marinara just make sure it is a low carb option like Rao’s.
- For the breadsticks:
- 2 zucchini, shredded (once dried out this is about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs (if extra large is all you have reduce to 1)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- For the topping:
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- red pepper flakes and basil (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Shred the zucchini and place in a sturdy dish towel. Squeeze as much moisture as possible from the zucchini. When you feel like you've gotten as much as you can out unroll the towel and allow it to rest for several minutes then try again. Do not skip the second step, the zucchini needs to be extremely dry.
- Transfer the dry zucchini to a mixing bowl and combine with the garlic, spices, eggs and cheese.
- Place the dough on a greased or silicone lined baking sheet and spread into a rectangle. **Do not pat too thin, or it will be more like a thin crust pizza than breadsticks**
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until the breadsticks have browned slightly and dried out.
- Remove from the oven and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 5-7 more minutes until melted and bubbly.
- Cut into 12 strips.
This recipe was adapted from a Delish recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 stick
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 5.8gCholesterol: 76mgCarbohydrates: 1.9gProtein: 7.2g
Other Easy Keto Recipes
If you are new to Keto try my favorite Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites, they contain less than one net carb per bite and they are perfect for meal prep! One of my favorite easy low carb dinners is this One Pan Cabbage Casserole. It is so easy, cheesy and delicious and it has less than 9 net carbs per serving. Some other favorites, Keto Chocolate Cookies, Pimento Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Peppers and Sausage and Cream Cheese Pinwheels!