These soft Keto Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce are the perfect low carb appetizer! Enjoy 8 bites with cheese dip for less than 5 net carbs!
Do you have a favorite appetizer to order when you go out for drinks with friends? I’m a huge fan of soft pretzels, especially when there’s cheese sauce involved! Of course, going keto had changed that habit… Until now!
Pretzel bites are such a nostalgic thing to me. The first time I ever got to go to the mall with my friends (and no parents), I remember we shared a giant pretzel and a lemonade. The ballpark in the summer, the fair, the amusement parks, the movies… All these places were made better with a big, salty soft pretzel!
I’ll be totally honest–This recipe is pretty picky. I promise it’s worth it, though! Without the traditional (carb-filled) ingredients, it’s tough to get that crispy outside and dense, soft inside.
However, don’t worry! With the specific ingredients and techniques I explain below, we get tasty, low-carb, keto-friendly pretzel bites without any guilt whatsoever. Enjoy these Keto Pretzel Bites and think of simpler times!
Ingredients for Keto Pretzel Bites
While most of my recipes are pretty flexible and I try to add in notes regarding substitutions, this isn’t a recipe I recommend making substitutions. This recipe uses both almond and coconut flour, and the mixture truly did provide the best texture and lift. To make Keto Pretzel Bites you will need:
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Baking Powder
- Whole Egg and Egg Whites
- Toppings: Everything seasoning, sesame seeds, sea salt, poppy seeds
How do you make Low Carb Pretzel Bites
Begin by adding the almond flour, coconut flour and baking powder to a bowl and mixing well. Next, beat an egg white until it triples in volume (see photo) this is important because allows the pretzels to rise perfectly.
These pretzel bites are made of a “fat head dough” base. This means shredded mozzarella cheese and cream cheese are heated until completely melted. After stirring the melted cheese until smooth, the dry ingredients are mixed in.
Next, add in the egg and beaten egg white. Stir the dough well, then work it with your hands so a soft dough forms. Separate the dough into two sections and roll into a long thin line. Use a knife to cut the dough into one inch bite size pieces. Brush each one with the last egg white and top with the seasoning of your choice.
Tips for the Best Keto Pretzels
- Measure out and prepare everything before you begin. This is crucial because the dough base is melted cheese. If the cheese cools too much you will have a very hard time combining a smooth dough.
- Do not skip beating the egg white. There is a photo of my beaten egg white that shows you what this should look like if you are unsure. This helps to provide lift and give the bites the correct texture.
- Liberally brush the bites with egg white to get that perfect golden brown color and slightly crisp texture.
- Don’t forget to add a topping! You can use sea salt, Everything seasoning or another topping if you wish, but you definitely want to add salt to the pretzel bites for the best flavor.
How do you make Low Carb Cheese Sauce?
Often cheese sauces call for flour and butter to be combined to make a roux. This helps the cheese sauce thicken and gives you that great creamy texture. My low carb cheese sauce skips the roux and instead uses butter, heavy cream and a good sharp cheddar cheese!
To make the cheese sauce simply melt the butter over medium low heat in a sauce pan, add the heavy cream, shredded cheddar and stir until creamy. It really couldn’t be any easier!
Other Keto Appetizers
- Sausage and Cream Cheese Pinwheels
- Keto Cheesy Bread
- Easy Keto BBQ Chicken Taquitos
- Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white, beaten until it triples in volume
For the Topping
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sea salt or Everything seasoning for sprinkling on top
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup good quality shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Before you begin measure and prepare everything ahead of time, you must work the dough while the cheese is hot, so it is time sensitive.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese in a micorwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until completely melted. Stir until smooth.
- In a second bowl combine the almond flour, cocont flour and baking powder, stirring well.
- Combine the melted cheese with the flour mixture. Stir the dough and work the flour into the cheese as well as you can.
- Next, add the whole egg and the beaten egg, stir the mixture until a soft dough forms. Then, using your hands knead the dough until you are satisfied that the egg, flour and cheese is all worked in the dough together. Make sure there are no streaks of eggs, you want it to be completely combined.
- Separate the dough into two sections, roll into a long thin rope. Use a knife to cut into small 1 inch pieces. (I had 80 small pretzel bites total)
- Brush the bites with the egg white and sprinkle the seasoning of choice on top.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
For the Cheese Sauce
- In a small sauce pan, melt the butter over medium low heat.
- When the butter has melted stir in the heavy cream and the shredded cheddar cheese, stir until smooth and warmed through. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is calculated below, the recipe makes approximately 80 bagel bites total.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 8 pretzel bites dipped in cheddar cheese sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 12.1gCholesterol: 47.9mgSodium: 1330mgCarbohydrates: 6gNet Carbohydrates: 4.7gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 1.5gProtein: 14.2g