This Cabbage and Sausage Soup is the perfect way to warm up on a chilly night! This soup is rich, comforting and about 5 net carbs a bowl!
Cabbage and Sausage Soup
It’s starting to cool down, so that means soup season is starting! This Cabbage and Sausage Soup is going to be exactly what you’re going to be craving all fall and winter long! Smoked sausage is combined with chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, carrots and cabbage to make a veggie packed soup that is low in carbs but high in flavor! You’re going to add in onion and garlic powder, paprika and oregano to give this soup a rich, herby flavor with minimal effort.
This cabbage soup has a large serving of both protein and fiber, so it will keep you full. There’s a large serving of vegetables in each bowl, so you can really feel good about feeding this to your family! And the best part about this meal- it’s the perfect weeknight soup!
This meal all cooks in one pot and is ready in only 20 minutes. So you can have this on the table in no time! This recipe is also great for making ahead of time or for keto meal prep!
Ingredients in Cabbage Soup
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our Cabbage and Sausage Soup. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Smoked sausage- you could also use turkey, chicken, or andouille sausage
- Onion, celery, bell pepper, carrots, cabbage- chopped
- Broth- vegetable, beef or chicken
- Minced garlic, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and oregano
How do I make this Cabbage Soup recipe?
This smoked sausage soup is ready in only 20 minutes with 3 simple steps!
- Heat a dutch oven (or large pot) to medium heat and brown your sausage.
- Add the minced garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and carrots. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the broth, cabbage and spices. Simmer soup for 10-15 minutes and top with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Tips for the best Cabbage and Sausage Soup
- To make this recipe even faster, prep everything before hand! Chop up your sausage and veggies so that when you’re ready to cook, all you need to do is pop everything into your dutch oven!
- If you only have a large pot, that will work fine for this recipe. You may have to brown your sausage in stages, so that you can be sure you’re getting a good browning on all sides.
- If you wanted to use a different type of sausage, that would work fine! I also think this recipe would be good with ground beef or pork.
What should I serve with Sausage Soup?
One of the wonderful things about this soup is that it’s so filling- the large amount of veggies and protein will do that! But if you wanted to add some sides, I think Cheddar Garlic Keto Biscuits or Rosemary Garlic Keto Dinner Rolls would be delicious, but check out my list of Keto Bread Recipes for more yummy low carb bread recipes! You could also add a Keto Soup Topper to your sausage soup!
How to Store and Reheat Soup
To store this soup, allow to cool and transfer to a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid and store in the fridge. This soup will stay fresh for up to five days. To reheat, you can either microwave in 30 second increments until hot enough for you, or on low heat on the stovetop.
Can I freeze this Cabbage and Sausage Soup?
Yes, you can! Allow this soup to cool completely and add to a freezer bag- I recommend using these bag rack holders to make the process much smoother. Lay on a sheet pan and allow the bags to freeze laying flat, so the bags will be easier to store. Once frozen, remove from the sheet pan. To heat from frozen, allow to thaw in the fridge overnight and then warm on the stove top. Do not refreeze.
Is this good for meal prep?
I love this recipe for meal prep. Simply prepare ahead of time and store in a microwave safe container so you can warm it up anywhere. This soup is hearty and filling and will keep you feeling full and satisfied!
More keto soup recipes
- Keto Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 10+ Easy Keto Soups
- Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Easy Keto Chicken Soup
- 16 ounce smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots, chopped
- 3-4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 32 ounces broth (vegetable, beef or chicken)
- 2 teaspoons EACH onion and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon EACH paprika and oregano
- Heat a dutch oven or large pot to medium heat. Add the sliced sausage to the skillet, stirring occasionally until browned. (Optional: If you wish to remove some of the oil from the skillet use paper towels to blot the sausage and remove as much oil as desired.)
- Add the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper and carrots. Saute the vegetables, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, chopped cabbage and spices. Allow the soup to simmer (not boil) 10-15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 15.2gSodium: 482mgCarbohydrates: 7.7gNet Carbohydrates: 5.5gFiber: 2.2gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 9.4g