This Chicken Bacon Ranch Soup is the perfect low carb comfort food! Enjoy a bowl of this cheesy chicken soup for about 5 net carbs!
Ingredients for Chicken Soup
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling. To make this cheesy chicken soup you will need:
- Chicken: boneless skinless chicken breast are suggested, but tenderloins or boneless thighs will also work.
- Bacon: an essential ingredient! Just use your favorite variety.
- Vegetables: onion, celery, and carrots are used in this recipe. As written this dish is low carb and keto-friendly, but to reduce the carbs even further you can skip the carrots.
- Ranch: for this recipe we we will be using Ranch seasoning, verses a liquid dressing.
- Broth: use a good quality chicken stock.
- Cream Cheese: full fat, softened cream cheese is suggested because reduced fat cream cheese does not melt as smoothly.
- Heavy cream: this helps to give this recipe an ultra creamy texture. You can substitute half and half if needed, just don’t use regular milk.
- Shredded Cheese: I love a good sharp cheese, but something like colby jack will also work well.
How to Make Chicken Bacon Ranch Soup
This cheesy chicken soup recipe is made in one pot and is ready in about 30 minutes! It is the perfect crowd pleasing meal because everybody loves a classic combo like chicken, bacon and ranch! Let’s walk through the step by step process below.
Cook the Bacon
In a large stock pot or dutch oven add the chopped bacon and brown until crispy over medium heat. When the bacon is crisp remove from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain off all of the grease except two tablespoons.
Cook the Vegetables
In the same pot add the onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté the vegetables over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
Add the Chicken, Bacon and Ranch
Add the boneless, skinless chicken breast right on top of the vegetables. Then add half of the cooked bacon, as well as the ranch seasoning.
Add Broth and Simmer
Add the broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Place the lid on the pot and reduce the heat so that the soup is at a nice simmer. Allow the soup to simmer 30 minutes.
Shred Chicken and Add Cheese
After 30 minutes check the chicken to see if it is fork tender. At this point remove the chicken from the pot and shred. While the chicken is out of the pot add the softened cream cheese, heavy cream and one cup of the cheddar cheese. Whisk the mixture until the cheese has melted and the soup has reached a nice creamy texture. Add the shredded chicken back to the soup and heat through.
Serve this warm, delicious soup with the remaining cooked bacon and shredded cheese! You can serve this soup with my favorite keto-friendly Red Lobster Biscuits for a real treat!
How to Store Chicken Soup
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for 5-7 days in the refrigerator. For easy meal prep divide any leftovers into these lunch containers for a quick grab and go lunch!
How to Reheat Soup
Simply warm the already cooked soup through in 30 second increments in the microwave. Remember to stir so it heats the soup evenly. Alternatively, you can heat the soup on the stove over medium low heat, stirring occasionally.
If you love this Chicken Soup try these easy recipes:
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup: loaded with veggies, chicken and cheese, this spicy chicken soup is always a huge crowd pleaser!
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Soup: a classic soup made without all the carbs!
- Sicilian Chicken Soup: the ultimate comfort food!
- Keto Chili: the absolute best low carb chili recipe!
FAQ for Creamy Chicken Soup
Yes. You will need to cook the bacon on the stove top ahead of time. Then add the vegetables (you don’t have to sauté) chicken, ranch, half the bacon and broth to the slow cooker. Cook on high 4 hours or on low up to 8 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Add the cream cheese, heavy cream and cheese and whisk until smooth. Add the chicken back to the soup.
Yes! This soup is naturally gluten and grain free. It is also low carb and keto-friendly.
Make sure you soften the cream cheese ahead of time. This ensures it will melt smoothly. Whisk the soup well and you shouldn’t have any trouble.
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 1 (1 ounce) package ranch seasoning
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven to medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crisp, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Drain off all of the grease except about 2 tablespoons.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots and sauté until the vegetables are tender and the onions are translucent.
- Add the chicken to the pot, top with the ranch seasoning, half the cooked bacon, and chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a simmer, place the lid on the soup and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Allow the soup to cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the chicken is tender and cooked through remove from the pot and shred.
- While the chicken is on the cutting board add the heavy cream, softened cream cheese and one cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Whisk until the cream cheese has dissolved. Stir the chicken back into the soup and serve immediately.
- Top with the remaining bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 29gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 824mgCarbohydrates: 7.2gNet Carbohydrates: 5.7gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 3.5gProtein: 30g