Try my favorite easy Keto Chicken Piccata for a simple, hearty weeknight dinner! Parmesan crusted chicken is sautéed and paired with a tangy lemon sauce!
What is Chicken Piccata?
Chicken Piccata is a dish that features thinly sliced chicken breast or tenders that have been lightly breaded and pan fried. The chicken is served in a savory lemon butter sauce that is simmered with brined capers. It is a delightfully unexpected combination of flavors that is always a crowd pleaser!
Ingredients for Low Carb Chicken Piccata
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. For the complete recipe just keep scrolling:
- Chicken breast: Sliced and pounded thin.
- Salted butter and olive oil: the combination provides the best taste and texture.
- Spices: salt, pepper and herbs.
- Almond flour: you can also use pork rind panko for a crunchier dish, but I prefer the almond flour.
- Parmesan cheese: grated, not shredded parmesan works best for this recipe.
- Dry White Wine: a dry white wine is best for this recipe. Chicken broth will work as a substitute.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice and lemon wedges for serving.
- Capers: brined capers can be found near the olives and jarred artichokes at your local grocery.
- Heavy Cream: this adds the perfect creamy texture to the sauce and helps to mellow the tangy lemon sauce, so even those who don’t love lemon would enjoy this dish.
How do you make Low Carb Chicken Piccata?
While your dinner guests will think this is a meal you slaved over, it is actually quite simple to prepare!
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, parmesan and herbs. Dredge the thin chicken breast in the mixture and make sure it is coated well on both sides.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in the skillet. Sear the chicken about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the browned chicken onto a plate.
- In the same pan add the wine, scraping the pan to deglaze it. Add the lemon juice, capers, heavy cream and remaining butter to the skillet and stir. When the sauce has reduced add the chicken back to the skillet.
Do I have to use almond flour?
If you do not wish to use the almond flour but still want to keep this dish keto-friendly you can use pork rind panko in place of almond flour in this recipe.
Do I have to use the wine?
The addition of dry white wine in the sauce is part of the reason this dish has such amazing flavor. This is the way I recommend making this recipe. However, if you do not want to use wine you can use chicken broth in its place.
Tips for the Best Lemon Chicken?
- The key to perfectly pan seared, juicy chicken is to start with thin chicken breast. Take a look at the photos to see how I cut a large chicken breast into thin sections that make the best pan seared chicken!
- When breading the chicken make sure it is completely covered on all sides.
- Allow the sauce to reduce and thicken a bit for the best flavor.
What do you serve with Chicken Piccata?
My absolute favorite low carb side dish is Garlic Butter Mashed Cauliflower. Serve the crispy chicken piccata with the sauce spooned over the cauliflower and chicken and you have an amazing meal for under 7 net carbs. Some other low carb side dishes include:
- Green Bean Almondine
- Keto Red Lobster Biscuits
- Garlic Butter Roasted Cauliflower
- Air Fryer Garlic Butter Broccoli
Other Chicken Recipes
Want more? Check out this list of 25+ Easy Keto Chicken Recipes!
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter (not all used at once)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (more if desired)
- Slice the thick chicken breast as if you are butterflying, but cut all the way through. Place plastic wrap over the chicken and pound until thin.
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, parmesan and herbs.
- Dredge the thin chicken breast in the mixture and make sure it is coated well on both sides. Let the breaded chicken sit in the fridge 10 minutes to make sure the coating adhears well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter and all of the olive oil in the skillet. Sear the chicken about 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer the browned chicken onto a plate.
- In the same pan add the wine, scraping the pan to deglaze it. Add the lemon juice, capers, heavy cream and remaining butter to the skillet and stir. When the sauce has reduced slightly add the chicken back to the skillet. and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Top with lemon wedges, parmesan and parsley if desired.
You can use chicken breast in place of the white wine if you wish.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast + lemon sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293Total Fat: 17.9gCholesterol: 80.7mgSodium: 353mgCarbohydrates: 3.1gNet Carbohydrates: 2.6gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 0.7gProtein: 19.9g