These Cream Cheese Sausage Balls are the perfect keto appetizer or gluten free snack! At only 1 net carb each, this will be a keto meal prep recipe you reach for time and time again!
Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
Today I’m sharing a new spin on a classic recipe! We all know and love traditional sausage balls. They are easy breakfast food, and are a staple at most parties! This delicious version features spicy chorizo, cool cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese! The combination is something all of your party guests will be talking about!
As a bonus, this recipe is naturally low carb and keto-friendly. It contains just five simple ingredients, can be made ahead of time and freezes beautifully! This is the last sausage ball recipe you will ever need!
Ingredients in Cream Cheese Sausage Balls
These Chorizo Sausage Balls have all of the qualities you love about traditional sausage balls. They are cheesy, savory and so satisfying! To make this recipe you will need:
- Ground Chorizo Sausage: you can of course, use ground breakfast or Italian sausage if you wish, but the chorizo is a new spicy spin on this classic dish!
- Cream cheese: we don’t use a lot of cream cheese in this recipe, just enough to compliment the chorizo and make them moist and tender.
- Shredded cheddar cheese: Another grated cheese such as gruyere will also work.
- Almond Flour and Baking powder: this recipe is low carb, gluten free and keto-friendly!
Are sausage balls better with cream cheese?
Yes! Have you ever had a traditional Bisquick Sausage Ball that was dry and crumbly? That will never happen with these easy sausage balls. The combination of cream cheese and sausage is unbeatable. The flavors meld together perfectly and they come out moist and delicious every single time!
How to Make Sausage Balls
This is a very cream cheese sausage ball recipe. You only need to follow three basic steps:
- Combine all of the ingredients until well incorporated.
- Roll the sausage balls into golf ball-sizes balls.
- Bake at 375ºF until done.
How Long to Cook Sausage Balls?
The cooking time will depend on how large you make them, but for golf ball size sausage balls they will need to cook for roughly 20 to 24 minutes at 375ºF. You will know they are done when they are browned and have reached an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Do I have to use Chorizo?
No, this recipe can be made with regular mild or spicy breakfast sausage. It can also be prepared with ground Italian sausage for a fun pizza version. This chorizo just provides a new and exciting flavor that is great for parties (and amazing dipped in queso or salsa)!
I do use less cream cheese in this recipe due to the high fat content of the chorizo, so check out this Italian Sausage Ball recipe or my classic 5-Ingredient Keto Sausage Balls recipe for using different sausages.
Can Sausage Balls be prepared in advance?
Yes, you can mix together the chorizo mixture, form the balls, and seal them in an airtight container until you’re ready to bake. Alternatively, you can prepare the entire recipe as written and either refrigerate or freeze the sausage balls until ready to eat.
How to Store Cream Cheese Sausage Balls?
After cooking allow the sausage balls to cool completely and store in the fridge in an airtight container up to 5 days. These easy keto sausage balls are great warm or cold so they are great for a quick and easy lunch!
Can I freeze Sausage Balls?
Of course, just prepare according to the directions and allow them to cool completely and place in a freezer bag. When ready to eat remove the sausage balls from the bag and microwave in 30 second increments until warmed through.
Tips for Making Sausage Balls
- Because these use chorizo, there will be a lot of grease. For easy cleanup, you can line your pan with aluminum foil instead of just parchment paper or a silicone liner. After cooking, you may want to let them cool on paper towels to reduce the amount of grease as well.
- Switch up the flavors for your preferences! You could use a Mexican style blend of shredded cheeses, spicy pepper jack, mozzarella… Whatever you prefer.
- If changing the protein, you might need to increase the cream cheese to 4 ounces instead of 3 to make up for the loss of fat that the chorizo brings to the recipe.
Other Keto Appetizers
- 1 pound ground chorizo
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients until well incorporated. I find this easiest in my stand mixer.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet or line with silicone baking sheets
- Roll the sausage balls into golf ball size balls. I had 25 each. Bake 20-24 minutes.
Why does this recipe use less cream cheese than your other sausage ball recipe?
Chorizo is very greasy so the amount of cream cheese has been reduced with this protein to account for the extra fat in the chorizo.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 25 Sausage Balls Serving Size: Nutrition Calculated Per Sausage Ball
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 10gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 1.1gNet Carbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 0.2gProtein: 5.9g