Enjoy a burst of flavor in every bite with our Jalapeño Cheddar Chicken Fritters – a deliciously crispy and cheesy delight that is ready in a flash!
Today, we’re diving into the realm of crispy, cheesy goodness with a recipe bound to tantalize your taste buds – Jalapeño and Cheddar Chicken Fritters. This recipe combines the heat of jalapeños with the creamy richness of shredded cheddar cheese and a hint of richness from cumin and paprika. These fritters are a simple weeknight dinner or great for a grab-and-go lunch!
Why You’ll Love It
- Quick and Convenient Meal: Cheesy chicken fritters offer a speedy solution for those busy days when time is of the essence. With a preparation time of just 30 minutes, these fritters provide a delicious and satisfying meal without the need for extensive cooking or complicated ingredients.
- Low-Carb Delight: For individuals following a low-carb or ketogenic diet, these cheesy chicken fritters are a fantastic choice. The combination of ground chicken, cheese, and seasonings not only satisfies your taste buds but also aligns with low-carb dietary preferences, making it a versatile option for those mindful of their carb intake.
- Versatile and Crowd-Pleasing: Cheesy chicken fritters are incredibly versatile and can be enjoyed in various ways. These fritters cater to various culinary preferences, whether served as a delightful appetizer, a protein-packed main course, or tucked into a low-carb wrap or salad.
Ingredients for Cheesy Chicken Fritters
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed to make this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe, simply scroll to the printable recipe card below. To make this chicken recipe, you will need a mixing bowl, pan and spatula in addition to the ingredients listed below:
- Ground Chicken: We are skipping the chicken breasts and chicken thighs for this meal and going for simple ground chicken. It is a great alternative to ground beef and is usually quite economical. you can also use ground turkey if you prefer.
- Jalapenos: for this recipe, I use fresh, seeded jalapenos. If you prefer a milder pepper you can use green bell peppers. And just in case you don’t have access to fresh peppers you can use pickled jalapenos as well, just check out my note in the recipe card.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese: sharp cheddar pairs so well with fresh jalapeno peppers. You can also use mozzarella cheese or Colby-jack if you wish.
- Chopped Green Onions and Minced Garlic: this adds great flavor, but if you are out, finely chopped red onion works in a pinch.
- Egg and Coconut Flour: This binder helps hold the fritters together.
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and seasoned salt.
How to make Chicken Fritters
- Mix: In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, chopped jalapeños, green onions, minced garlic, and spices. Add the egg, shredded cheddar cheese, and coconut flour. Stir again until everything comes together, set the mixture aside for a few minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb the moisture.
- Shape and Form: With your hands (make sure they’re clean!), form the mixture into small patties. I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup, an ice cream scoop also works well, but the size is up to you. Remember, you just want to keep this small and thin enough that the outside gets golden and crispy, while the inside is juicy and cooked through.
- Ready, Set, Fry: Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, carefully place the fritters in the oil, ensuring they have enough space to crisp up. Fry each side until golden brown, usually about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Drain and Savor: As your fritters reach that perfect golden hue, transfer them from your large frying pan to a plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil. Let them rest for a moment – although we won’t blame you if you dive right in!
- Serve and Enjoy: Dish up your Jalapeño and Cheddar Chicken Fritters and get ready to impress. Whether as a savory appetizer or a main course, these fritters are sure to steal the show.
This is a versatile dish that pairs well with any side dish. You can serve it over a salad, with crispy veggie fries, or alongside your favorite air fryer vegetable. I really love to serve this with a dipping sauce like low carb ranch, this Jalapeno Ranch, or Taco Bell Copycat sauce. If you prefer a different flavor, a simple garlic aioli is a great option!
Storage and Reheating
Storing chicken fritters properly is crucial to maintaining their flavor and texture. Here’s a simple guide on how to store your tender Jalapeño and Cheddar Chicken Fritters:
- Refrigeration: Allow the chicken fritters to cool completely before storing. Place them in an airtight container or a sealable plastic bag. If you have a lot of fritters, you can layer them with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Refrigerate them for up to 2-3 days.
- Freezing: If you want to store your chicken fritters longer, freezing is an excellent option. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or a freezer bag. Frozen chicken fritters can be stored for up to 2-3 months.
- Reheating: When you’re ready to enjoy your stored chicken fritters, reheating is a breeze. If refrigerated, you can reheat them in the oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through. For frozen fritters, allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. You can also reheat frozen fritters directly in the oven, but the cooking time may be longer.
Tips for the Best Chicken Fritters
- Finely Chop Ingredients: Ensure ingredients like jalapeños, green onions, and garlic are finely chopped. This helps distribute their flavors evenly throughout the fritters and prevents large chunks in the chicken mixture that might disrupt the texture.
- Perfectly Sized Patties: Form uniform-sized patties to ensure even cooking. This also helps maintain a consistent texture across all the fritters. Aim for bite-sized portions for appetizers or slightly larger ones for a main course.
- Avoid Crowding the Pan: Fry the fritters in batches, leaving enough space between each one. Overcrowding the pan can lower the oil temperature and produce unevenly cooked fritters.
- Drain Excess Oil: After frying, place the cooked fritters on paper towels to absorb any excess oil. This step helps maintain their crispy exterior.
This recipe uses one tablespoon of coconut flour as a binding agent. I have tested this recipe with coconut flour, almond flour, pork rind panko, and then using no binder at all. My suggestion is to use the coconut flour or use NO binder at all. The almond flour and pork rind panko versions weren’t as good, and the texture was lacking.
Yes, this recipe is low-carb, keto-friendly as well as gluten free. The complete nutrition information, including calories, carbs, fiber, and protein, is below the recipe.
Yes, you can use any spices you enjoy, including dill, fresh herbs, black pepper, parmesan cheese, fresh basil or your favorite all-purpose blend.
Other Jalapeno Recipes
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers: This easy low carb appetizer can be made in the oven, on the grill or in the air fryer!
- Fish Tacos: paired with a jalapeno ranch slaw that is quite addicting!
- Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken Soup: a soup that tastes just like a jalapeno popper but in a creamy, hearty soup that is even better the next day!
- One Pan Jalapeno Chicken: a one pan dinner that is ready in a flash!
Jalapeño Cheddar Chicken Fritters
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/4 cup finely chopped jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder paprika, seasoned salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Combine the ground chicken, chopped jalapenos, green onions, garlic, and spices in a mixing bowl. Once the mixture is combined, add the egg, shredded cheddar cheese, and coconut flour.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pat out the chicken fritters. Pat the fritters a little thinner than you think they need to, as they will puff a bit as they cook.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil begins to shimmer, carefully add the fritters to the skillet. Ensure the fritters are not touching, and do not overcrowd the pan. Cook the fritters for 3-4 minutes on each side until the exterior is golden brown and the interior reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees with an instant-read thermometer.
- When the fritters are cooked through, remove them from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra oil.
- Serve immediately with the dipping sauce of your choice.