These Cast Iron Pork Chops with Mushrooms is the perfect low-carb weeknight dinner for two! Ready in under 30 minutes with just 8 net carbs, this keto-friendly dinner will be a quick favorite!
Cast Iron Pork Chops
These Cast Iron Pork Chops are a deceptively easy dinner! Thick pork chops are marinated in savory steak seasoning, then seared and baked to perfection! Balsamic and herb mushrooms are served alongside the juicy pork chops for the perfect one pan dinner! This recipe is ready in less than 30 minutes and is naturally low carb, keto-friendly and gluten free! For another delicious keto pork recipe, try this Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Brussels Sprouts!
How to Cook Thick Pork Chops
The secret to ensuring that your pork chops come out tender and juicy is through a combination of searing and baking, as well as giving your meat ample time to marinate. By searing your pork on both sides at a high heat, you are browning the protein in the meat as well as caramelizing the outer layer. This gives your pork an excellent crust and ensures every bite is full of flavor. Check out my Perfectly Cooked Pork Chop post for more info and a step by step video.
Ingredients for Cast Iron Pork Chop and Mushrooms
As always, here is a quick run down of the ingredients needed to make this recipe. For the complete instructions, simply scroll to the recipe at the bottom of this page.
- Pork Chops: look for a thick 2 inch pork chop for this recipe. You can use bone in or boneless if you prefer, the cooking times will not change as long as you stick with a nice thick chop.
- Mushrooms: I prefer Baby Bella mushrooms, but other varieties such as button, or cremini will also work.
- Butter: salted butter works best in this recipe.
- Steak marinade: use your favorite variety.
- Balsamic vinegar: adds excellent depth and flavor to the mushrooms.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic.
- Herbs and spices: Parsley, chives, salt and pepper.
How to make Cast Iron Pork Chops
- Marinate your pork. Allow your pork chops to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
- Season. Mix the melted butter, balsamic vinegar, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and drizzle over the mushrooms. Toss until coated and set aside.
- Sear. In an oven safe skillet (I used a cast iron), heat one tablespoon of olive oil over high heat. When the skillet and the oil are very hot, add the pork chop. Sear two minutes on each side. After searing, add the mushrooms to the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and bake ten minutes. Flip and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 145 degrees.
Do I have to use thick cut pork chops?
For the particular recipe, yes. Thin pork chops will overcook if kept in the oven this long. If you only have thinly cut chops, I recommend reducing the cooking time by 5-10 minutes. The mushrooms will need the full cooking time of 15-20 minutes.
How to store and reheat Pork Chops
Store in a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid in the refrigerator. These pork chops and mushrooms will stay fresh for up to four days. To reheat, you can either pop your leftover pork and mushrooms in the microwave until they are warm enough for you, or bake. If you decide to bake, place your leftovers in an oven safe pan or skillet.
Add two tablespoons water or broth to the skillet and cover with aluminium foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. You can also warm the mushrooms in a skillet over medium heat.
Can you make Keto Pork Chops ahead of time?
Absolutely! You can prepare your pork chops as described above and then place in the freezer. Place each pork chop in it’s own individual freezer bag. When you are ready to serve, simply thaw and reheat as detailed previously.
What to serve with Keto Pork Chops and Baked Mushrooms
There are so many delicious options of sides for this show stopping dinner! I served these Keto Cheddar Garlic Biscuits and Cheesy Asparagus with Salted Caramel Stuffed Keto Brownies for dessert! This dish would also be tasty with Spaghetti Squash or Green Beans.
Easy Pork Recipes
- Sesame Pork Chops and Green Beans
- How to Cook Thick Cut Pork Chops
- Sausage and Green Bean Sheet Pan
- Keto Ham and Cheese Biscuits
Keto One Pan Meals
- One Pan Keto Philly Cheesesteak
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas (keto + low carb)
- One Pan Keto Green Chile Chicken
- One Pan Keto Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken
- 2 (2 inch) thick cut pork chops
- 1/3 cup steak marinade (your favorite variety)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced (3-4 large cloves)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinate the pork chops in the steak marinade up to 24 hours ahead of time.
- Combine all of the mushroom ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- When ready to cook preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Remove the chops from the marinade and season well with salt and pepper on each side.
Heat an oven safe skillet over high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil. When the skillet and oil are piping hot add the pork chop and sear 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the pork chops from the skillet and quickly pour the mushrooms into the pan. Place the chops back into the skillet and place the entire skillet with the chops in the oven and bake 10 minutes, flip and bake another 5-10 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees F.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1 pork chop + 1 cup mushrooms
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 16.9gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 10.5gNet Carbohydrates: 8.1gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 6.9gProtein: 32g