These refreshing Lemon Blondies are covered in a sweet citrus and cream cheese frosting! This keto-friendly treat has less than 3 net carbs per serving!
My family LOVES brownies–Seriously, all of our childhood friends knew our house as the “Brownies for Breakfast” place when we were growing up. Some Sunday mornings, I still wake up and wonder, “Where are the brownies?”
However, now that I’ve had more than a few years to discover new tastes, I’m realizing that there are some other options out there! Now these Lemon Blondies have found a place in my dessert-filled heart, too!
We keep the nice dense texture of a brownie but brighten the whole thing up with a citrusy punch of lemon! To take it to the next level, I added lemon icing, too!
Not only is this twist delicious, it’s also great for all kinds of diets. There’s no gluten and no refined sugar, so you can just focus on how great they taste instead of what they may be doing to your insides! These are also keto and low-carb, so feel free to indulge a little! I won’t tell if you choose to have them for breakfast, either!
Ingredients for Lemon Blondies
This is just a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. The complete recipe and instructions are below, just keep scrolling.
- Butter: unsalted, softened butter
- Granular Monkfruit Sweetener: Granular Swerve also works.
- Eggs: room temperature eggs are ideal for this recipe.
- Almond Flour and Coconut Flour: you need both flours to get the right rise and consistency for this recipe.
- Lemon juice and lemon zest: this is about 2 medium size fresh lemons
- Baking powder and Salt: provides lift for the blondies.
- Additional ingredients for the glaze: Powdered Monkfruit Sweetener, cream cheese, almond milk or heavy cream, vanilla extract.
How do you make Keto Blondies?
To make this low carb blondie dessert, you’ll start out by using a handheld electric mixer to cream together the unsalted butter, and granular sweetener until creamy. Then, mix in the eggs, one at a time until smooth.
In another bowl mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt and combine. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat with the electric mixture until combined. Add in the lemon juice and lemon zest.
Prepare a 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray. Spoon the batter into the pan and bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
Allow the blondies to cool completely and add the keto lemon glaze (recipe below).
Tips and Tricks for the Best Gluten Free Blondies
- Line your pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper and leaving some overhang. This will make it much easier to remove the blondies from the pan. It also makes clean up a breeze!
- Make sure the butter is softened before blending.
- Be sure to use the correct size pan. Using anything larger than an 8×8 pan will result in very thin bars.
- My personal preference is to enjoy these bars at room temp. Remove the bars from the fridge 30 minutes before serving to allow the butter in the blondies to soften slightly for the best taste and texture.
How do I store Blondies?
Blondies can be stored up to 5 days in an air tight container in the fridge.
Can I freeze Blondies?
Yes, these easy gluten free blondies will freeze well for up to 3 months if stored in an air tight container in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.
Other Keto Desserts
- Easy Keto Sheet Pan Cookies
- The BEST Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Fudge
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies
Lemon Blondies (keto + gluten free)
- 1 cup confectioners monkfruit sweetener
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons almond milk or heavy cream as needed to thin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the softened butter, and granular sweetener with an electric mixer until creamy and well incorporated.
- Beat the eggs into the sugar mixture until completely combined.
- In another bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Spoon the flour mixture into the sugar mixture, beating with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Stir in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Spoon batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the blondies to cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Combine the sweetener, cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of the milk or heavy cream in a food processor or beat with an electric mixture until smooth and creamy. Add 1 tablespoon additional liquid if needed until it reaches your desired consistency.