This Keto Beef and Broccoli is the perfect low carb meal- thinly sliced steak is pan seared and tossed in stir fry sauce with tender broccoli! This one pan beef recipe is ready in under 30 minutes!
Beef and Broccoli Recipe
This keto Beef and Broccoli recipe is so easy and delicious! Tender flank steak is sliced thin and seared to seal in the flavor, which is then tossed with a sweet stir fry sauce and broccoli. The sauce is made in the same pan as the steak, making this a one pan meal!
Beef and broccoli is a Chinese-American dish, and it is thought to have originated in San Francisco. Usually, beef and broccoli uses cornstarch and sugar in the sauce, but my keto beef and broccoli recipe uses monkfruit. This gives the recipe the exact same flavor, but cuts way down on the carbs.
Ingredients for Beef and Broccoli
Here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our keto Beef and Broccoli. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Flank steak: skirt steak will also work in this recipe if you prefer. Cut the steak against the grain.
- Sauce ingredients: ginger, garlic, sesame oil, Chili garlic sauce, low sodium soy sauce, Brown sugar monkfruit, broth
- Fresh Broccoli florets
- To thicken the sauce: Xanthan gum or cornstarch if you are not low carb.
What kind of meat do you use in Beef and Broccoli?
Flank steak is the cut of meat usually used for homemade Beef and Broccoli. You can also use skirt steak if that is what you prefer. These types of steak are excellent when cut thin, which is ideal for this recipe.
You want to be sure that you are cutting your steak diagonally and against the grain. Cutting diagonally helps with breaking down any remaining fiber, which in turn gives you a juicier steak! It is easiest to find the grain when your steak is raw- the grain is the white lines running down the front and the back of the steak. Since we’re cutting our steak diagonally against the grain, we’re cutting across these white lines at around a 45 degree angle.
How to make Beef and Broccoli
Beef and Broccoli is made in three simple steps. The first step is to slice and sear the steak until cooked through, then set aside. The second step is to use the same skillet and make a low carb stir fry sauce, add the broccoli and a thickening agent. The last step is to add the steak back to the skillet and heat through!
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
This recipe is so easy to make your own! I only included broccoli in mine, but you could easily add any vegetables you want to this low carb stir fry. Any of these combinations would make a delicious low carb stir fry. You can also change the meat to whatever type you prefer- chicken, pork or tofu would all work well here. Some low carb vegetables you could use are:
- Chopped cabbage
- Bok choy
- Bell Peppers
- Green onions
- Brussel sprouts
- Green beans
How many carbs are in beef and broccoli?
This recipe uses low carb ingredients such as golden monkfruit sweetener verses traditional brown sugar or honey. Those simple changes make this normally high carb dish a very low 4.9 net carbs per 1 1/4 cup serving!
Other Flank Steak Recipes
If you’re looking for more ways to use flank or skirt steak, try these Steak Fajitas! This Marinated Flank Steak recipe is also great for salads, wraps or to pair with your favorite low carb vegetables.
Other Keto Asian recipes
- Asian Pork Chops with Sesame Broccoli
- Keto Chicken Zucchini Stir Fry
- Asian Salmon
- Keto Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1-2 tablespoons oil for cooking the steak
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar monkfruit
- 1 cup broth (any variety)
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (or 1 tablespoon cornstarch if not keto)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Slice the flank steak against the grain into thin strips. In a large skillet over medium high heat add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Add the beef in batches and sear until cooked through. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic, ginger, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, monkfruit and broth. Stir well and bring the stir fry sauce to a simmer.
- Add the fresh broccoli to the sauce, toss to coat. In another small bowl combine the xanthan gum and water. Stir the mixture into the sauce, as it simmers the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Add the steak back to the skillet and heat through. Serve immediately with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.
Xanthan gum is a low carb thickener. If you wish to skip this you can, you will just need to allow the sauce to simmer longer before adding the broccoli so it reduces and thickens on its own. It will not get as thick, if you do not use a thickening agent.
You can also use cornstarch if you prefer, it has 6 net carbs per tablespoon so it will add 1 net carb per serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 9.8gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 488mgCarbohydrates: 6.9gNet Carbohydrates: 4.9gFiber: 2gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 28g