Steak and Mushroom Foil Packs are loaded with marinated sirloin steak and tender mushrooms. This is the perfect camping or cookout food! It requires minimal ingredients and cooks in under 20 minutes!
Foil packs were a summer staple in our household growing up. It was always served as an assembly line, there would be a protein, various veggies, and sauces and everyone made their own creation, sealed up their parcel, and tossed it on the grill. It was a fun and easy way to do dinner while camping, and also works really well for entertaining.
Over the years I’ve stumbled across a few incredible flavor combos that deserve to be shared, this is one of them! Also, try this Sausage Broccoli Cheddar Foil Pack, it is a reader favorite and requires just 3 ingredients. Everyone loves this recipe, kiddos included! Below you will a step-by-step guide to making the best steak foil packs. And if you’ve never attempted them before, don’t worry this is super easy!
Ingredients for Steak Foil Packs
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed to make the best steak foil-pack dinner! For the complete, printable recipe scroll to the recipe box below.
- Steak: I suggest using sirloin steak cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Avocado Oil: oil is used in the homemade steak marinade. I recommend avocado oil over olive oil due to the high smoke point. If you only have extra virgin olive oil it will work.
- Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce: use low-sodium options if you can find them. This is used in the steak marinade and adds depth and flavor.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic is best.
- Mushrooms: any variety will work, if you use large mushrooms you will need to halve them so the cooking time matches the steak.
- Steak Seasoning: this is common and can be found in your spice aisle, use any brand you prefer.
- Fresh thyme: optional, but adds flavor and color to the finished dish.
How to Make Steak Foil Packs
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need foil and a grill! Follow the step-by-step guide below to learn how to make homemade steak marinade and a delicious foil pack!
Marinade the Steak
Combine the avocado oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and minced garlic. This is a delicious steak marinade that is salty, tangy, and delicious. You will need to marinate the steak for the best flavor and texture. I know this is an extra step that you have to think of in advance, but it only takes a few minutes and greatly improves the flavor of the dish. For best results marinade the steak for 8-24 hours.
Add the Mushrooms
After the steak has soaked in the marinade at least 8 hours remove it from the fridge. Add the washed mushrooms to the steak and marinade and toss to coat. This ensures the mushrooms have the same excellent flavor as the steak. It is not required to allow the mushrooms to sit and marinate in the mushrooms because it will alter the texture. Simply toss to coat.
Assemble the Foil Packs
Tear off four 12-inch x 12-inch squares of foil. Divide the steak and mushrooms among the four sections of foil. Important! Reserve the remaining steak marinade from the bottom of the bowl. You will need it in just a second.
Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of the steak seasoning over the steak and mushrooms and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the reserved steak marinade.
Fold the Foil Packs
Fold the foil packets by bringing 2 sides together and folding them over, then closing the ends. You want to leave a little bit of room for air to circulate so be sure you aren’t closing the package so tightly that it prevents it from cooking evenly.
Heat a grill to medium-high heat, approximately 400 degrees F. Once the grill is hot carefully add the foil packs seam-side up to the grill. Grill the packets 15-20 minutes, until the steak has cooked to your preference. For me, 18 minutes of cooking time gave me medium rare steak, this will be different depending on your grill and the thickness of your steak. Carefully remove the packets from the grill and allow them to rest for 5 minutes.
This foil pack can certainly be considered a complete meal. Just garnish with a little fresh thyme and you are all set! If you’d like to add a side dish or two to round things out here are some ideas:
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts with Queso: seriously addictive, you will never look at sprouts the same way again!
- Asian Cucumber Salad: the perfect healthy, easy, no-cook salad!
- Zucchini with Parmesan: a simple four-ingredient side!
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon: this dish has about 4 net carbs per serving.
Storage and Reheating
Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second increments until warmed through.
Do I have to marinate the steak?
Yes, you need to marinate the steak. Steak tenderizes as it marinates and improves the texture as well as the taste. The marinade only takes a minute to whip up and it is worth the effort!
If you use gluten-free steak seasoning and soy sauce this recipe is gluten-free.
If you wish to skip the foil you will need to prepare the ingredients as directed but instead of placing them in a foil pack thread them onto skewers. Cook the skewers about 3 minutes on each side on a 400 degrees grill, or until the steak reaches your desired doneness.
I use a sirloin steak, cut into 2-inch pieces.
You will close the foil pack like a parcel. Start with a square section and bring opposite sides of the foil together and fold down. Take the remaining ends and fold them closed. Leave enough room in the packet so air can circulate.
Other Foil Pack Recipes
- Sausage and Cabbage Foil Pack: this recipe features a cajun butter sauce that is to die for!
- Spicy Sausage and Veggie Foil Pack: minimal prep and cooks quickly.
- Foil Pack Green Beans: easy Asian green beans made right on the grill!
- BBQ Chicken Foil Pack: chicken, veggies and smokey BBQ sauce!
- Pork and Potatoes Foil Pack: a complete meal that feeds at least 4!
- 2 lbs top sirloin steak, cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup avocado oil
- ⅓ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz mushrooms, (halved if large)
- 2 tsp steak seasoning
- Fresh thyme, optional for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine the steak pieces, oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and minced garlic. Cover and marinate for at least 8 hours.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Lay out 4 large pieces of aluminum foil on your counter or work surface.
- Uncover the marinaded steak and add the mushrooms, tossing to coat in the liquid.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 4 pieces of aluminum foil, reserving the liquid at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of the reserved marinade to each foil packet, and sprinkle each foil packet with ½ tsp steak seasoning.
- Fold the foil packets by bringing 2 sides together and folding them over, then closing the ends.
- Grill the packets for 15-20 minutes, until the steak is cooked per your preference. For my grill, it took 18 minutes for the steak to reach medium-rare consistency. Remove the packets from the grill, and allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Open the packets, garnish with fresh thyme, and serve!
Steak seasoning is found at all grocery stores, there are many brands, and any variety will work.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Packet
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 22gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 418mgCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 5.8gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 3.4gProtein: 50g