These Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts are a quick and easy keto dinner that are around 2 net carbs per serving!
Today I’m sharing an insanely simple and delicious dinner recipe. This broccoli cheese stuffed chicken is naturally gluten free, low carb, and keto friendly.
Plus, it’s made in just one dish and is ready in about 30 minutes! I don’t know about you, but that checks every box on my dinner list!
When it comes to keto chicken recipes, I generally prefer a pan seared chicken like this Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken, or this Mushroom and Swiss Chicken recipe. I love the extra flavor that you get when you sear a seasoned chicken breast.
However, that does require a few extra steps, and sometimes we need dinner to be as easy as possible! This broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breast recipe features butterflied chicken breast stuffed with a creamy broccoli cheddar mixture. Then, the chicken is seasoned and baked to perfection!
Ingredients for Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
This broccoli stuffed chicken breast recipe requires just five basic ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to make the keto stuffed chicken:
- Chicken breasts – Boneless & skinless. Try to get four small chicken breasts, all as uniform in shape and size as possible. This will help ensure that each one is cooked perfectly when you pull the pan out of the oven!
- Broccoli – Fresh, raw, chopped small.
- Cheddar cheese – Shredded. You’ll get a smoother melt with freshly shredded cheese, but the bagged pre-shredded version will work fine. Feel free to substitute a different or vegan cheese if you prefer.
- Cream cheese – I used full-fat cream cheese for the added energy in this keto meal. You can use low-fat or dairy-free cream cheese if you prefer.
- Cajun seasoning – Easily found in the seasoning aisle at the grocery store, but this homemade blend works well for me.
Is Broccoli Keto?
Yes! Broccoli is high in fiber and comes out to roughly 2 net carbs per 1 cup of broccoli.
Can I Use Frozen Broccoli?
No, I recommend using fresh broccoli for this recipe. Frozen broccoli holds too much moisture and gets quite soggy after baking.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
The broccoli and cheese stuffed chicken breasts are so easy to prepare! Here’s a step-by-step guide for making this easy keto chicken dinner.
Make broccoli cheddar filling
In a small bowl, mix together broccoli, softened cream cheese, and shredded cheddar cheese. Once this is mixed well together, set aside for now. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
How to Butterfly Chicken Breasts
Place a chicken breast on a cutting board and using a very sharp knife cut through the chicken breast horizontally about 3/4 of the way though. Fold open the top half of the chicken so that it opens like a butterfly.
Each side of the chicken breast should be equally thin so it cooks evenly. This is an excellent method to stuff chicken with any of your favorite fillings.
How to stuff chicken breasts
With the butterflied chicken open, spread the broccoli cheddar mixture onto one side of each chicken breast. Fold the other side over, then secure it all together with a toothpick. If you’re prepping this recipe to cook later, stop here. Cover and refrigerate stuffed chicken up to 24 hours before moving to the next step.
Lightly sprinkle the cajun seasoning on each side of the chicken, making sure each chicken breast is well seasoned. It’s important to only do this right before cooking–Any salt in the mixture can draw moisture out of raw chicken if it has time to rest.
Place stuffed, seasoned chicken onto a greased baking dish. Bake 25-30 minutes or until is cooked through. You can use a meat thermometer in the thickest part–Just make sure it’s measuring the temperature of the chicken, not the broccoli cheese stuffing.
How Many Carbs Are in This Recipe?
Each stuffed chicken breast has two net carbs per serving. This easy recipe fits perfectly into a low carb or keto friendly lifestyle.
What to Serve with Broccoli Cheese Stuffed Chicken
This broccoli cheddar stuffed chicken is such a great dish that goes well with many flavors. We love serving this with sides like Crispy Zucchini Fries or Smashed Brussels Sprouts. It’s also great with a creamy dish like Mashed Cauliflower or Cauliflower Risotto. Some Keto Dinner Rolls and a Simple Arugula Salad help stretch the meal without too much effort, too.
Some other great side dishes include:
- Roasted Radishes – under 2 net carbs
- Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus – under 3 net carbs
- Air Fryer Zucchini with Parmesan – under 4 net carbs
- Cheesy Roasted Asparagus – under 3 net carbs
- Air Fryer Green Beans – under 5 net carbs
How to Store & Reheat Stuffed Chicken
- Fridge – This keto chicken recipe should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days.
- Freezer – Allow chicken to completely cool, then wrap multiple times in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Store in a freezer bag up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge or cook from frozen (just add an extra minute or two to the cooking time).
- Reheat – Reheat for about 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 350 degrees. You could also air fry at 350 degrees for 3-5 minutes. To microwave, blast on 50% power in 1 minute increments until warmed throughout.
Tips for Making Broccoli Cheddar Chicken
- You may need to pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness before butterflying them. They shouldn’t be pounded thinly, just to an even thickness.
- The trick to butterflying chicken breasts is to cut them almost in half, but not all the way through.
- You do not need to cook the broccoli before stuffing it into the chicken breasts. I used raw broccoli florets to make the cheddar and cream cheese stuffed chicken.
More Keto Chicken Recipes:
- One Pan Keto Tuscan Chicken
- Keto Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Keto Oven Fried Chicken
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 small chicken breasts
- ¾ cup broccoli chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the broccoli, cheddar cheese, and softened cream cheese. Set aside.
- Slice each chicken breast lengthwise so that the breast folds open (be sure not to slice all the way through).
- Spread the broccoli cheddar mixture on one side of the chicken and fold the other side over. Secure the chicken with a toothpick.
- Lightly sprinkle the cajun seasoning on each side of the chicken.
- Place in a greased baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days, or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Reheat in a 350F oven for 10 minutes.