This low carb, gluten free Keto Oven Fried Chicken is exactly what your family ordered! Tender chicken that’s “fried” in the oven, this meal is lightened-up comfort food at it’s finest!
Is there anything better than fried chicken? Seriously, if I ever turn down a piece of fried chicken, call the doctor.
But everyone knows fried chicken is bad for you! That’s why I love this recipe. It combines one of my all-time favorite foods with my keto and gluten free diet!
With how much flavor this chicken packs, combined with the delicious crispiness of the baking process, no one will ever know this chicken isn’t fried! Everyone will gobble up this dinner before they even realize that they’re eating something that’s good for them!
Comfort food is such a favorite in our house, and I love that I can lighten this chicken up to still deliver that savory fried chicken crunch while staying within our dietary goals. By being able to stay keto and gluten free with this Keto Oven Fried Chicken, I have zero guilt and all the flavor!
Ingredients in Keto Oven Fried Chicken
As always this is a quick run down of the ingredients you will need. For the complete recipe and instructions just keep scrolling.
- Chicken: your choice of cut. I have cooking times listed for chicken breast tenders, but this method works with other cuts as well.
- Egg and Mayonnaise: this is what we use to help the breading stick to the chicken
- Almond Flour: due to absorption rates, do not sub coconut flour here.
- Parmesan: the grated or powdered variety, not shredded
- Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika
- Butter: I use salted butter but if trying to reduce sodium, unsalted works too
How do you make Keto Fried Chicken
This is a pretty simple process. If using chicken breast, slice your chicken into thin strips, similar to a chicken tender. This helps ensure they all cook evenly and finish at the same time.
Set up a breading station with two bowls, one with the egg and mayo mixture, and another with the breading ingredients. Dip the chicken into an egg and mayo mixture, then dredge in a keto-friendly coating of almond flour, parmesan cheese, and spices. For extra crispy oven fried chicken repeat the breading process so they are completely coated.
Place the breaded chicken on a large baking sheet and brush liberally with melted butter. Half way through the cooking time flip the chicken and brush the other side with melted butter if desired.
Tips for the Best Oven Fried Chicken
This fried chicken is low in carbs, diabetic friendly and naturally gluten-free, making them a great option to suit a variety of dietary needs at gatherings or dinner parties! Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure they come out perfect every time:
- Do not overcrowd your pan. Make sure you use a large enough pan that the tenders do not touch. This ensures the tenders will get perfectly crispy.
- Bread the tenders evenly. Don’t be afraid to use your hands to bread the chicken. Sometimes using utensils it can be difficult to create a solid breading. Make sure the chicken is evenly covered all over.
- Flip the chicken. Half way through the cooking time be sure to flip the chicken so both sides get perfectly crispy.
How do I serve Low Carb Oven Fried Chicken?
This Keto Oven Fried Chicken makes a great meal on it’s own, or you can mix it up! This recipe is so versatile, which is one of my favorite things about it.
Add some hot sauce to your chicken, use these cheesy keto biscuits, and you’ve got a spicy chicken sandwich! Cut the chicken into smaller pieces and add some ranch, bacon and shredded cheese and wrap in a lettuce wrap for the perfect low carb lunch.
Slice it up and put it on top of a salad for a healthy lunch or dinner. The options are seriously endless.
Can I make Keto Fried Chicken in the Air Fryer?
Definitely! To make in the Air Fryer, first preheat to 390 degrees F. Place the chicken tenders (without the melted butter) and lightly spray with cooking oil. Cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for 2-3 more minutes until chicken is cooked through.
This is a quicker method and lower in calories because we skip the butter.
More Keto Chicken Recipes
Keto Oven Fried Chicken
This low carb, gluten free Keto Oven Fried Chicken is exactly what your family ordered! Tender chicken that's "fried" in the oven, this meal is lightened-up comfort food at it's finest!
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 12 strips
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Keto Breading
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray, or line with aluminum foil.
- In one shallow bowl combine the egg and mayonnaise, beat with a fork until it is completely combined. Set aside.
- In another shallow bowl combine the Keto Breading ingredients. Dip each sliced chicken tender into the egg mixture, then dredge in the breading. Make sure the tenders are completely coated.
- Once each tender is coated well, lay on the cooking sheet and brush with the melted butter.
- Bake 15 minutes, turn the tenders carefully using tongs and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Air Fryer Instructions:
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F. Place the chicken tenders (without the melted butter) and lightly spray with cooking oil. Cook for 5 minutes, flip and cook for 2-3 more minutes until chicken is cooked through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2 chicken tenders
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 16gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 347mgCarbohydrates: 2.9gNet Carbohydrates: 2.4gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 0.6gProtein: 32.4g