Juicy marinated Flank Steak is grilled to perfection and topped with zesty homemade Chimichurri sauce! This low-carb recipe is perfect for cookouts, parties, or a delicious weekend meal!
Say hello to your new favorite meal! This is the recipe all your friends will be begging for, it is packed with flavor and deceptively simple! Flank steak is an underrated meat in my opinion. It can sometimes get a reputation for being tough, but with a little prep work, you can have a super tender, juicy steak that can feed a crowd! And we haven’t even gotten to the sauce! This flavorful Chimichurri sauce is a cinch to make in a food processor and you will want it on everything!
What Makes This Recipe So Good
- FLAVOR: this is one of those perfect recipes where simple basic ingredients come together to make a fresh, flavorful meal that is company worthy!
- EASY: while this meal looks incredibly impressive it actually very simple.
- VERSATILE: this can be enjoyed by itself, or in tacos, burritos, for breakfast with eggs, or on nachos!
What is Flank Steak?
It is a lean and flavorful cut of meat that is often used in dishes such as fajitas, stir-fries, and steak salads. It is important to properly marinate and cook a flank steak to ensure that it stays tender and juicy.
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a popular Argentinian sauce that is typically served with grilled meats. It is often made with finely chopped cilantro and parsley, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and oil. The sauce has a tangy, herby flavor that complements grilled meats and vegetables. Many people also use chimichurri as a marinade or dipping sauce. It is a versatile and delicious sauce that is especially amazing with flank steak!
Ingredients for Flank Steak and Chimichurri
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed to make this easy steak dish! For the complete, printable recipe simply scroll to the printable recipe card.
- Flank Steak: for this recipe, I suggest a flank steak between 2.5 -3 pounds.
- Oil: a neutral oil such as canola, olive, or avocado oil.
- Spices: garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Lime: you will need the juice and zest from the lime.
- Cilantro: you will need fresh cilantro, not dried.
- Parsley: fresh, flat-leaf parsley.
- Onion: a white, yellow, or red onion will work in this recipe.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic is best in this recipe.
- Red Wine Vinegar: needed to balance the herbs, salt, and lime in this dish.
How to Cook Flank Steak
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a grill or grill pan. And if you plan to make the sauce (trust me, do it!) you will need a blender or a food processor. It also isn’t required, but these marinating pans come in quite handy if you do a lot of marinating and grilling. To make the BEST Flank steak follow this tutorial.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a large container or gallon ziplock bag. Add the steak and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 8 hours. This step is absolutely imperative, you have to marinate flank steak for the best taste and texture. Flank steak can be tough and if you marinate it properly it tenderizes the meat nicely and will result in a much better dish.
Make the Chimichurri
Add all chimichurri ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse until smooth and well combined. Do a quick taste test and add salt and pepper to your liking. Transfer to a jar or container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Grill the Steak
Oil a grill pan or outdoor grill, and preheat to medium-high heat. Grill the flank steak for 8-9 minutes on each side. The cook time is determined by your preference. The most reliable way to monitor your steak is to use a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached your preferred level of doneness. After you remove your steak from the skillet or grill, remember that the temperature will rise a few degrees while resting. Here’s a simple guide to temperatures and doneness:
- Medium Rare: 135 degrees F or 57 degrees C
- Medium: 145 degrees F or 63 degrees C
- Medium Well: 150 degrees F or 66 degrees C
- Well: 160 degrees F or 71 degrees C
Remove the steak and set it on a cutting board for at least 10 minutes to rest. This is important because you want to give the juice inside the meat a chance to settle. Slice the steak against the grain, then top with chimichurri sauce and serve! This dish is incredible all by itself but some excellent side dishes are:
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Smoked Queso
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Homemade Refried Beans
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts with Queso
Odds are you won’t have any leftovers of this delicious, juicy steak! But just in case you do store leftover steak in tightly wrapped plastic wrap or in an airtight container. Leftover steak can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three to four days. Be sure to store the chimichurri sauce in an airtight leftover container separately from the steak.
Steak will dry out quite easily when reheating. It is best to reheat it low and slow to prevent it from being dry and tough. Turn your oven to 275 degrees and place it on a baking sheet and cover it with foil. Heat for 15 minutes, then 5 additional minutes at a time until it has warmed through.
Tips for the Best Flank Steak with Chimichurri
- MARINATE: you absolutely must marinate a flank steak, there just isn’t a way around it. This cut of meat needs to be marinated to improve the overall taste and texture. Remember, marinades are not just for flavor, they also tenderize the meat.
- TEMPERATURE: check the temperature chart above and use an instant-read meat thermometer to make sure your steak is perfectly cooked.
More Steak Recipes You’ll Love
- Air Fryer Steak Tips: insanely good and takes just a few minutes!
- Steak and Eggs: seriously the best breakfast around!
- Steak Fajitas: sizzling steak with peppers and onions stuffed in a warm tortilla.
- Marinated Flank Steak: perfect for burritos, tacos, etc.
- Steak and Shrimp Skillet: the best one-pan steak tips!
For the Steak
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 lbs flank steak
- 1⁄4 cup oil (avocado or canola) 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, loosely packed
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3⁄4 tsp salt
- 1⁄3 cup oil (avocado or olive oil)
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or gallon ziplock bag. Add the steak and toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 8 hours.
- Add all chimichurri ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender and pulse until smooth and well combined. Transfer to a jar or container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Oil a grill pan or outdoor grill, and preheat to medium-high heat. Grill the flank steak for 8-9 minutes on each side.
- Remove the steak and set it on a cutting board for at least 10 minutes to rest. Slice the steak against the grain, then top with chimichurri sauce and serve!
- The chimichurri sauce is zesty and pairs perfectly with this marinated flank steak!
- I was able to find a flank steak that was 3 lbs. Many supermarkets cut up flank steaks into smaller pieces. You can use 2 or 3 flank steaks that total up to 2 1⁄2 or 3 lbs for this recipe, that’s no problem!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: About 6 ounces with sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 15.6gCholesterol: 102mgSodium: 400mgCarbohydrates: 4.5gNet Carbohydrates: 3.8gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 0.9gProtein: 37g