This Keto Mint Julep uses a sugar-free simple syrup, fresh mint, and a classic Kentucky bourbon for a refreshing cocktail… ZERO net carbs!
Keto Mint Julep
This Keto Mint Julep is the PERFECT keto cocktail! This classic drink is a delicious blend of bourbon, refreshing mint and a superb simple syrup. Serve over crushed ice for the best summer cocktail or nightcap with zero guilt!
Made with a keto simple syrup, this drink comes out to ZERO net carbs!I used Liquid Monkfruit to replace the sugar, so you lose the carbs but none of the flavor. Try my Keto Margarita or Keto Lemon Drop for more great ideas on how to use this low carb simple syrup!
Enjoy a Keto Mint Julep on the porch, during brunches, barbecues, parties, weddings, or the event it’s most famous for- the Kentucky Derby! This Southern cocktail staple is known for being a huge hit at the races- with over 100,000 sold at the event itself!
Make a batch for your Derby party and be ready for everyone to be shocked when you tell them the cocktail has no net carbs! Trust me, this sugar free drink will quickly become one of your favorites!
What is in a Mint Julep?
A Mint Julep is a blend of bourbon (which is a type of whisky), mint leaves, water, simple syrup and crushed ice. This Southern cocktail is incredibly delicious, as well as being very refreshing!
How to make a Mint Julep
First, you’ll need to prepare your keto simple syrup. Take your Liquid Monkfruit and mix with water. Monkfruit is very sweet, much sweetener than sugar, so you need a very small amount. One tablespoon per one cup of water is all that’s needed. If you prefer things to be a little less sweet, or if you’re using a different brand, I recommend starting at 1/2 a tablespoon per one cup of water and adjusting as needed.
In a cocktail glass, add your mint leaves and simple syrup. Muddle, or lightly mash the leaves, for about 30 seconds. Add your crushed ice to your glass, add your bourbon and a splash of water. Stir and serve!
What should I serve with a Mint Julep?
Southern food is famous for its flavor for a reason! Serve up some classic Southern dishes with a keto twist, like these Keto Shrimp and Grits, Sausage and Spinach Quiche or this Keto Fried Chicken. For dessert, serve Keto Brownie Pie, Lemon Cookies or Cheesecake Strawberries!
Do you have to serve this in Mint Julep cups?
Nope! This keto cocktail works well in Old Fashioned Glasses or Highball Cups. Classic Mint Julep Cups are usually silver- they get very cold and chill quickly, but if you don’t have any, it’s not a problem.
Tips for the best Mint Julep recipe
- Because there are so few ingredients, the splash of water is important to mellow out the bourbon. You can use sparkling water if you want to add some fizz.
- Crushed ice is ideal for the Mint Julep because it’s not shaken. The crushed ice melts quickly, chilling the glass and softening the alcohol taste.
- If you don’t want to make the simple syrup, you can instead add about 1/3 teaspoon of the liquid monkfruit and about 2 tablespoons of water to the mint, then muddle.
- If you don’t like sweet drinks, start with just 1/2 ounce of simple syrup. Increase sweetener to your preference.
More keto cocktails
- 2 ounces bourbon
- about 1 ounce keto simple syrup *Recipe in notes - Reduce to 1/2 ounce if you don't like sweet drinks
- 6-8 mint leaves
- crushed ice
- In a 12-ounce cocktail glass, add your mint leaves and simple syrup. Muddle about 30 seconds.
- Add crushed ice to the very top (mounding over the top if possible), then pour in bourbon and a splash of water.
- Stir vigorously for about 15 seconds to chill glass and mix the drink. Serve immediately.
Keto simple syrup: 1 cup of water + 1 tablespoon of Liquid Monkfruit Sweetener
*If you do not like sweet drinks, reduce the simple syrup in the cocktail recipe to 1/2 ounce instead of a full ounce.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 12-ounce drink
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 131Total Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 0.8mgCarbohydrates: 0.1gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0.1gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g