Make Keto Tacos for everyone’s favorite quick, easy weeknight meal! Satisfy that Taco Tuesday craving with two delicious cheese shells stuffed with seasoned meat for under 3 net carbs!
Taco Tuesday doesn’t have to be a thing of the past when you go keto! Instead, enjoy these delicious Keto Tacos, made with cheesy shells and tender meat. These little tacos will give you all the flavor you love without the high carb count!
If you don’t love the idea of cheese shells (which are delicious, and I hope you try them), you can still make keto tortillas! These Zucchini Tortillas are SO delicious, and the small size is just 1.2 net carbs while the large is 2.4 net carbs.
Keto Taco Ingredients
As always, here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – Shredded. You could also use a Mexican blend if you prefer.
- Ground beef – Turkey, chicken, or other meat could work as well.
- Seasonings – Chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, smoked paprika, and chili flakes are used for a keto-friendly taco seasoning blend.
How to Make Keto Tacos
These tacos only require a few easy steps, so you’ll be able to eat in no time! Here’s a step-by-step guide for making keto tacos.
Brown the beef
While your oven is preheating, add your ground beef to a pan heated to medium. Break apart and cook until browned. Drain off any grease, but leave the meat in the pan and return to the stove.
Season to make taco meat
Add water and seasonings to the meat and allow to come to a boil. Leave the pan uncovered and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
Bake the Cheese
Line a baking pan with a silicone mat. Create 8 separate cheese shells on the mat, each one with 1/4 cup of cheese. They should be fairly uniform in size and shape for even cooking. Bake at 350 degrees F until browned around the edges. This should take about 10 minutes, but watch closely so they don’t burn.
Make Keto Taco Shells
Allow the cheese shells to cool for about two minutes, until they are easy to handle. Fold the cheese over to create the classic taco shell shape.
Assemble the Tacos
Now your shells are ready to go! Add the taco meat to the crispy cheese shells and add any of your favorite taco toppings such as sour cream, salsa, lettuce or guacamole! This method also works for other proteins such as these slow cooker chicken tacos.
When serving these tacos, you could add some Roasted Tomatillo Salsa or Avocado Bacon Dip with these Keto Chips! Add some Fajita Veggies on the side to stretch the meal further and make it healthier. Drizzle some Smoked Queso or Enchilada Sauce for even more flavor. Last, wash it all down with a tasty Keto Margarita!
Storage and Reheating
I do not recommend making this dish ahead or time or saving some for leftovers. The cheese can get very rubbery and chewy after it cools off too much, so it’s best to eat these fresh. Reheating them often ends in a greasy mess, so I don’t recommend that, either.
If you like Keto Tacos, you will LOVE these recipes!
- Keto Nachos – These nachos use the same technique by making chips out of the cooked cheese! Super tasty, great for snacking.
- Keto Enchiladas – Uses the same cooked cheese method to make low-carb “tortillas.”
- Instant Pot Tacos with Spicy Coleslaw – This one uses store-bought tortillas and shredded beef for tacos that are super similar to those you’d get in a restaurant.
- Crock Pot Chicken Tacos – These are dipped in sauce and seared for the most flavorful taco you’ve ever had! Super quick, too.
- Keto Taco Pizza – Forget the tortillas and toss all your favorite ingredients on a deliciously cheesy fathead dough crust!
- 40+ Low Carb Mexican Recipes – Chimichangas, soups, salads, fajitas, and more!
FAQs about Keto Tacos
Some store-bought seasonings are keto friendly, but some aren’t. Make sure you look at the nutrition facts before buying, or make your own! There’s a great keto taco seasoning recipe linked in the post above.
Most tacos aren’t keto because they use flour or corn tortillas/shells that are high in carbs. By replacing those with low-carb options like cheese shells or zucchini tortillas (linked in post), you can have delicious tacos without the carbs!
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar for each shell
Keto Taco Meat
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes optional
- 1/4 cup water
For the taco meat
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- Drain off grease, then return the pan of beef to the stove. Stir in your seasonings and water and bring to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until thickened.
For the cheese shells
- Line a baking pan with a silicone mat and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pile 1/4 cup of shredded cheese onto the mat, then spread out to form a circle. Continue doing this with the remaining cheese until you have 8 cheese circles.
- Bake the cheese for about 10 minutes or until the edges have browned. Watch very carefully as they can burn quickly.
- Allow the cheese shells to cool about two minutes. Then fill each shell with taco meat. Fold the shell over to form the classic taco shape and serve immediately.