These five ingredient Sausage Cheese Keto Egg Muffins are less than 1 net carb each! This easy low carb breakfast recipe is great for keto meal prep!
What is an Egg Muffin?
An egg muffin is basically a crustless quiche, and miniature! An egg muffin is a mixture of egg, cheese, protein or vegetable all baked in a convenient grab-and-go style muffin. These little savory cups are great for breakfast, but they also make a delicious lunch option!
How many carbs are in Keto Egg Muffins?
These protein packed beauties come in at less than one net carb each! Each egg muffin has 0.9 net carbs. You can find the complete nutritional information under the recipe and instructions in the recipe card below.
Ingredients for Keto Egg Muffins
Here is a list of the ingredients used for Keto Egg Muffins. As always, there is a detailed recipe card below.
- Eggs- size large
- Heavy cream- if you only have half and half, that will work fine
- Salt, Pepper, Baking powder
- Breakfast sausage- cooked
- Shredded cheese- cheddar, swiss, or pepper jack are all good options
How do you make Egg Muffin Cups?
- Combine the eggs, cream, baking powder, salt and pepper in a medium mixing bowl.
- Next, stir in the cooked sausage and shredded cheese.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, put your batter into a greased muffin pan (see tips below). Finally, bake for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees F. When your muffins have set and you can put a toothpick in and it comes out clean, you’re ready to enjoy!
What kind of pan should I use?
This recipe is formulated to make 12 standard egg muffins. Alternatively, you can make 24 mini muffins. You can use metal or silicone. If you prefer to use liners, that will work fine as well but wasn’t necessary for mine.
Tips for the best Keto Egg Muffins
- If you do not have a really good nonstick muffin tin I recommend using a silicone muffin tin. This will keep your eggs from sticking, and they come out very easily.
- Be sure to really combine the mixture well- this will help to give you really fluffy muffins
- Make these muffins yours! If sausage isn’t your favorite, try bacon, chicken, turkey or Canadian bacon.
- Add veggies! Bell peppers, tomatoes or asparagus would be delicious in these muffins
How to freeze Breakfast Egg Muffins
These egg muffins are good to go into the freezer for up to three months. Allow the egg muffins to cool completely, then freeze (not touching) on a baking sheet or plate. After 1-2 hours, place the muffins in a freezer safe bag. Be sure to write the date that you froze your muffins on the front.
If freezer burn is a frequent problem with your freezer or you plan to keep them frozen the entire three months, you may want to wrap each muffin in plastic wrap to protect them.
How to store and reheat Keto Egg Muffins
These egg muffins are good in the fridge for three days. They can be stored in either an airtight bag or a Tupperware container. To reheat, place in the microwave and heat in thirty second increments or until the desired temperature is reached.
Other Keto Breakfast Recipes
Other Egg Recipes
Eggs are a staple in a keto diet. You can enjoy omelettes, quiches, and egg muffins for little to no carbs! Not only are they low carb, they are easily accessible and affordable. You may like these other keto-friendly egg recipes:
Sausage Cheese Keto Egg Muffins
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup cooked breakfast sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheese cheddar, swiss, or pepper jack work well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine the eggs, cream, baking powder, salt and pepper. Beat the mixture until completely combined.
- Stir in the cooked sausage and shredded cheese until evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture using a 1/4 cup measuring cup or ice cream scoop into a greased muffin tin.
- Bake 18-20 minutes until the muffins have set and a toothpick comes out cleanly.