This Spicy Watermelon Keto Margarita is the ultimate summer cocktail! Super refreshing and about 3 net carbs each!
Spicy Watermelon Keto Margarita
This keto cocktail is going to be your go-to drink of the summer! Made with a sugar free jalapeno simple syrup, lime juice, chopped watermelon and your favorite tequila, you won’t be able to get enough of this skinny cocktail! At only 3.4 net carbs and 111 calories a serving, you can still enjoy this refreshing drink while sticking to your keto diet!
This keto drink is perfect for entertaining. The pretty light pink color makes it a great addition to any table, but especially bridal showers, brunch or any celebration you’re having! This sugar free cocktail doesn’t use any margarita mix and it also doesn’t contain erythritol, so if you are sensitive to sugar alcohols, you won’t have a problem with this low carb drink!
I added some orange sparkling water to this skinny margarita as a substitute for triple sec, but it’s completely optional. I also think a lime sparkling water would have complimented this very well. Serve with Shrimp con Queso or Steak Fajitas for an amazing keto meal! This recipe can easily be made as a frozen margarita or on the rocks.
Whether you want your margarita sparkling, on the rocks, or frozen, it’s super easy to customize. You can also adjust the amount of spice in your simple syrup to your personal preference. This drink will cure your summer watermelon craving!
Ingredients for Watermelon Margarita
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our keto margarita. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Sugar free simple syrup- made with liquid monkfruit sweetener and Jalapenos
- Tequila- Silver tequila (sometimes referred to as tequila blanco) is best for margaritas
- Lime juice- I used freshly squeezed, but the bottled version is also fine.
- Watermelon- chopped & seedless
- Optional: Orange sparkling water- you can use a different flavor or an unflavored sparkling water here. This just adds back some citrus flavor since we are omitting the triple sec
- Garnish- lime wedges, salt or watermelon wedges (don’t add too much watermelon if you’re keto- it does have a high amount of carbs)
How to make Sugar Free Simple Syrup with Jalapenos
To make this keto simple syrup, slice up 1-2 jalapenos and add to a small pot with 1.25 cups of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain your water into a jar and add 1 tablespoon of liquid monkfruit. Store in the fridge for several weeks. Give your jar a good shake to make sure you get good, balanced flavor.
This sugar free simple syrup is so easy to make and can be customized to your particular spicy or sweetness level! If you prefer more or less sweetness, then adjust your liquid monkfruit accordingly. For additional heat, increase your jalapenos. 1 jalapeno without the seeds is going to give you a very mild flavor with just a hint of spice (perfect for those who don’t love spicy recipes). Two jalapenos without the seeds is mildly spicy, but if you prefer a hotter flavor, just add the seeds of the jalapenos!
How to make a Keto Margarita
Add your tequila, lime juice, simple syrup and watermelon to a blender. If you’re making frozen margaritas, add a glass full of ice. Blend until the watermelon is well incorporated with the rest of the ingredients. If you’re using ice, blend to a slushie consistency. Salt the rim of your glass. If you’re serving on the rocks, add ice to your glass. Add your blended ingredients, top with sparkling water and serve!
Can you make frozen margaritas?
Absolutely! Just blend everything with ice, except for the sparkling water, which you’ll add right before serving. You can use fresh or frozen watermelon.
What to serve with a Spicy Keto Margarita
There are so many great Mexican keto recipes! If you’d like several ideas to choose from, check out this list of 40+ Keto Mexican Recipes. For an appetizer, try these Easy Keto Nachos, Keto Jalapeno Poppers or Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice. For dinner, some of my favorites are Pollo con Queso, Marinated Flank Steak or Keto Chimichangas. If you’re a vegetarian, try these Fajita Veggies!
More keto cocktails
Sugar-Free Jalapeno Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon liquid monk fruit sweetener
Spicy Watermelon Margarita
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 3/4 ounce lime juice
- 1/2 ounce sugar-free jalapeno simple syrup
- 1 ounce chopped watermelon
- about 2 ounces orange sparkling water (*optional)
To make the simple syrup
- Slice 1-2 jalapenos (depending on your spice preference) and place them in a small pot with 1.25 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and allow it to simmer 5 minutes.
- Strain the water into a jar and add 1 tablespoon of liquid monk fruit sweetener. This can be stored in the fridge for several weeks.
To make the margarita
- In a blender, combine the tequila, lime juice, simple syrup, and watermelon. If you want a frozen margarita, add a glass full of ice as well.
- Blend until the watermelon is blended and well incorporated with the liquid (or if using ice, until you reach your preferred slushie consistency).
- Salt the rim of a glass and fill it with ice if you're serving your margarita on the rocks. Pour the margarita, top with sparkling water, and serve immediately.
*Optional orange sparkling water: This adds a hint of orange to replace the missing Triple Sec that most margaritas might have. It adds some bubbly and makes it more of a sparkling margarita. You can leave this out if you prefer!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 10-12 ounce drink
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 111Total Fat: 0.1gSodium: 4.1mgCarbohydrates: 3.6gNet Carbohydrates: 3.4gFiber: 0.2gSugar: 2gProtein: 0.2g