These Andouille Sausage Foil Packets are loaded with cajun flavor! Enjoy grilled sausage, vegetables and cheese in a quick and easy foil packet recipe for about 6 net carbs!
Andouille Sausage Recipe
This easy keto meal is going to be making a regular appearance on your table! Smoky andouille sausage is combined with fresh broccoli and crunchy cauliflower, seasoned with delicious Old Bay seasoning and topped with sharp cheddar cheese! Packed into a foil packet, this andouille sausage recipe can be made in the oven or on the grill. This is the ultimate easy recipe- there’s very little prep and virtually no clean up!
In only 20 minutes, you can have this andouille sausage recipe on the table! Pair with a Basil Whiskey Sour or a Keto Mint Julep and pretend you’re in the Big Easy! By using a classic Cajun meat, this meal delivers on taste without going heavy on the carbs. This andouille sausage recipe is perfect for camping, grilling or any night of the week!
What is Andouille Sausage?
Andouille sausage is famously associated with Louisiana and their amazing Cajun cuisine. This sausage is heavily spiced using pepper, onions, garlic, thyme and cayenne. The sausage is then smoked twice, giving it that recognizable flavor. Double smoking the sausage gives the meat a very even flavoring while providing a great undertone of smokiness.
This also levels out the spices within the meat, so while it is full of seasoning, you typically are not sweating after eating it! Andouille sausage is the signature meat used in dishes such as jambalaya or gumbo. In the US, andouille sausage recipes are generally made with pork butt, which is just the pork shoulder.
Is Andouille Sausage spicy?
Andouille sausage does have a kick to it, but since it’s double smoked, the flavor is balanced out. This means that while you will be able to taste the spice in the meat, most people won’t be overwhelmed by it. For reference, chorizo is considered to be the hotter of the two sausages. Of course, this is all relative to what your personal tolerance for spicy food is. But if you’ve ever had traditional Cajun sausage before, you’ve probably had andouille sausage!
How do you make Foil Packet Meals?
First, warm your grill to about 400 degrees. Fill your foil packet with your veggies, andouille sausage and sprinkle with your seasoning. Meet your foil and seal the edges tightly. Fold one more time, but be sure that you are leaving enough room in your foil packet for the heat to flow. Grill for 7 minutes, flip and cook for 7 more minutes.
Carefully open your foil packets (they will be hot!) and add your cheese. Seal the foil packet and add back to the grill and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Remove from heat and enjoy!
Can I make this in the oven?
Absolutely! This andouille sausage recipe works great in the oven. Prepare your foil packets as described above and seal, while being sure to leave enough room for air circulation. In a 400 degree oven, cook for 7 minutes and then flip and cook for 7 more minutes. Carefully open your foil packet and add your cheese. Seal and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
How many carbs are in this recipe?
This easy weeknight meal is packed with flavor. The spicy Cajun seasoning of the andouille sausage is complimented perfectly by the Old Bay. By putting everything into a foil packet, your veggies and meat will be cooked until tender, then sprinkled with cheddar cheese. This low carb recipe comes out to only 6.2 net carbs, making it perfect for your keto diet!
Other Foil Packet Recipes
- 12+ Easy Foil Pack Recipes
- Sausage Broccoli Cheddar Foil Packs (keto + low carb)
- Keto Sausage and Cabbage Foil Packs
- Foil Pack Green Beans
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (or any other cajun blend)
- 1 (14 ounce) package Johnsonville Andouille Smoked Sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Amount Per Pack
- 1 cup broccoli florets, 1 cup cauliflower florets, 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay, 1 cup sliced sausage, 1/4 cup of cheese
- Heat gas or charcoal grill to high heat, about 400 degrees.
Cut 4 (12x12-inch) sheets of heavy-duty foil.
- Fill each foil pack with 1 cup broccoli, 1 cup cauliflower, 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay and 1 cup of sliced sausage.
- Bring up 2 sides of foil so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again, allowing space for heat circulation and expansion.
- Place packs on grill, cook 7 minutes. Flip foil packs and cook 7 more minutes.
- Carefully open packs and sprinkle each pack with 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Using tongs tent the foil pack over the foil pack allowing the cheese to melt. Cook 2-3 more minutes and remove from heat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Foil Pack
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 37gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 247mgCarbohydrates: 8.5gNet Carbohydrates: 6.2gFiber: 2.3gSugar: 2gProtein: 22g