Chicken and Waffles are the ultimate comfort food! You can enjoy a plateful of crispy breaded chicken and light, fluffy waffles for fewer than 5 net carbs with this easy recipe!
In the world of culinary delights, there are few combinations as beloved as chicken and waffles. This seemingly unlikely pairing of crispy, savory chicken with fluffy waffles has captured the hearts and taste buds of foodies everywhere. Typically, this is considered a Southern dish, but it has become so well loved I think it is a dish that transcends geographical boundaries. And now, thanks to a few simple changes it can also eclipse dietary boundaries! Let me show you exactly how to make perfect Chicken and Waffles that happen to be low carb, keto-friendly and gluten free!
What You’ll Need
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. For the complete, printable recipe card scroll to the bottom of this post.
- Chicken: I used chicken breasts, but you could use tenderloins to skip the slicing step. You could also use thighs if you prefer.
- Egg and Mayonnaise: This helps the breading stick and ensures the chicken stays nice and juicy. Eggs are also used in the waffle recipe.
- Almond Flour and Parmesan: We use almond flour and parmesan for the breading on the chicken. The parmesan is essential and helps to make it nice and crispy. Almond flour is also used to make the low-carb waffles.
- Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Italian seasoning, garlic salt. These are general all-purpose seasonings, and you could swap this out with a tasty blend you prefer more.
- Butter: This is melted and brushed on the chicken to ensure the breading is crispy and delicious!
- Shredded Cheese: an essential ingredient in the low carb waffle recipe.
How to Make Chicken and Waffles
In addition to the ingredients listed above you will need a few bowls, large baking sheet and of course a waffle maker! I use this mini waffle maker and cannot recommend it enough! Below you will find the step by step photos and directions to make this easy chicken dish. Remember, the printable recipe card is at the bottom of the post as well.
Bread the Chicken
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with aluminum foil. Combine the egg and mayonnaise in one shallow bowl and beat with a fork until thoroughly combined. Set aside. In another shallow bowl, combine the Keto Breading ingredients. Dip each sliced chicken tender into the egg mixture, then dredge in the breading. Make sure the tenders are entirely coated.
Bake the Chicken
Once each tender is coated well, lay it on the cooking sheet and brush it with the melted butter. Bake 15 minutes, turn the tenders carefully using tongs, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remember, the cook time will vary based on the size and thickness of your chicken.
Make the Waffles
While the chicken is in the oven make the waffles. Combine the eggs, shredded cheese, almond flour, and baking soda together. Carefully add the batter to the hot waffle maker, be sure not to overfill, a little goes a long way. The allow the waffles to cook 3-5 minutes (it will vary by machine) the waffles are done when steam is no longer emitting from the machine.
Serve the crispy chicken and fresh waffles while they are piping hot! If you are keeping low carb skip the traditional syrup and use a sugar free syrup. If you love a sweet and savory combo, serve this with a dash of hot sauce along with the syrup!
Storage and Reheating
- Separate the chicken from the waffles. This will help prevent the waffles from becoming soggy.
- Allow the chicken and waffles to cool to room temperature before storing them in separate airtight containers.
- Consume the leftovers within 3-4 days for the best taste and quality.
To reheat chicken and waffles preheat the oven to 300°F. Place the waffles on a baking sheet and the chicken on another. Cover the chicken with aluminum foil to prevent it from overcooking or drying out. Heat in the oven until both the waffles and chicken are warmed through. This usually takes around 10-15 minutes, but times may vary depending on your oven.
- Spicy Chicken and Waffles: Add a kick to your dish by seasoning the chicken with spices like cayenne pepper and serving it with a dash of hot sauce in the syrup.
- Chicken and Waffle Sliders: Mini waffles sandwiched with bite-sized pieces of fried chicken make for a fun and shareable version of this dish.
- Toppings Galore: Get creative with your toppings. You can add bacon, cheese, fried eggs, or even fruit to enhance the flavors.
Yes, this recipe is naturally grain and gluten free and requires no additional adjustments.
I do not recommend using an alternative flour for this recipe.
You can use any waffle maker, but the one you see pictured in this post is this model.
Other Comfort Food Recipes
- Keto Shrimp and Grits: Does it get any more comforting than creamy, cheesy grits paired with spicy, perfectly cooked shrimp? No! Now, you can enjoy a true comfort food classic for just 5 net carbs per serving!
- Broccoli Chicken Casserole: Broccoli Chicken Casserole is packed with shredded chicken, tender broccoli and a creamy cheddar cheese sauce!
- Easy Mushroom Chicken Bake: Seasoned chicken breasts are smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce and baked until they are tender and juicy!
- Air Fryer Apples: Cinnamon spiced apples that are perfect over ice cream, oatmeal and more.
- Shrimp Creole: Under 6 net carbs a serving, this flavor-packed low carb seafood dish will make your weekly rotation!
For the Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast, cut into 12 strips
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Keto Breading
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and black pepper
For the Keto Waffles
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray, or line with aluminum foil.
- In one shallow bowl combine the egg and mayonnaise, beat with a fork until it is completely combined. Set aside.
- In another shallow bowl combine the Keto Breading ingredients. Dip each sliced chicken tender into the egg mixture, then dredge in the breading. Make sure the tenders are completely coated.
- Once each tender is coated well, lay it on the cooking sheet and brush it with the melted butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn the tenders carefully using tongs, and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
For the Chicken
For the Waffles
- Combine the eggs, shredded cheese, almond flour, and baking powder in a small bowl and mix well.
- Preheat a waffle maker according to the directions and lightly spray with cooking oil if needed.
- Spoon the batter into the waffle maker and cook 2-3 minutes until steam is no longer coming from the machine.
This recipe makes 6 chaffles using the Dash Mini Waffle Maker.
Chicken Air Fryer Instructions:
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees F. Place the chicken tenders (without the melted butter) and lightly spray with cooking oil. Cook for 5 minutes, flip, and cook for 2-3 more minutes until chicken is cooked through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 waffle + 2 chicken tenders
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 24gCholesterol: 220mgSodium: 501mgCarbohydrates: 5.3gNet Carbohydrates: 4.6gFiber: 0.7gSugar: 1gProtein: 40g