This one pan Chicken Caprese is loaded with pan seared chicken, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella in a creamy balsamic glaze! Enjoy a generous serving of this easy chicken recipe for about 4 net carbs!
What is Chicken Caprese?
Traditional Caprese is a simple Italian dish that combines flavorful tomatoes with fresh mozzarella, and basil, along with good quality olive oil, salt and pepper. It is a dish where simple flavors are combined to create something magical.
This Chicken Caprese recipe features well seasoned chicken, juicy tomatoes, delicious mozzarella in a creamy, buttery balsamic sauce. It is everything you love about the traditional caprese flavors, but elevated into a complete meal that is low carb, gluten free and keto-friendly!
Ingredients in Caprese Chicken
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our Chicken Caprese. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Chicken breast: small, thinner breasts work best in this recipe.
- Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Butter, Chicken broth or wine, Balsamic vinegar glaze
- Fresh Mozzarella and basil
How do you make this Caprese Chicken recipe?
You won’t believe how easy this keto chicken breast recipe is to prepare! You can create this dish in four basic steps:
- Season the chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Sear the chicken in a skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chicken broth or wine and scrape the pan to loosen all the little brown bits.Bring the broth to a simmer and allow it to cook until it has been reduced by half. Stir in the balsamic glaze and butter until melted.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet and coat each side in the glaze. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and top the chicken with the fresh mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F. Top with fresh basil and more balsamic glaze.
Do I have to use the balsamic vinegar?
This recipe uses a concentrated balsamic glaze, verses a balsamic vinegar that you would use for a salad dressing. The flavor is sweeter and creates great depth. However, if balsamic just isn’t your thing you can skip this, or add 1-2 tablespoons of pesto in place of the balsamic glaze.
Tips for the best Chicken Caprese
- Be sure to coat your chicken in enough Italian seasoning and salt and pepper before you start cooking.
- Use chicken stock or a good quality cooking wine, either option is fine.
- You can also add the seasonings to your tomatoes for extra flavor!
- After you have added your chicken back to the pan, be sure to coat both sides of the chicken breast in the balsamic glaze.
- I only recommend using fresh mozzarella in this recipe- it brings a delicious level of creaminess to this dish!
What should I serve with this pan seared chicken breast?
- Rosemary Garlic Keto Dinner Rolls
- Keto Three Cheese Biscuits
- Keto Cheesy Zucchini Breadsticks
- Air Fryer Zucchini with Parmesan
How many carbs are in this recipe?
This recipe serves four. A serving size consists of one smothered chicken breast and about half a cup of roasted tomatoes with glaze. Each serving has 263 calories, 5.6 carbohydrates and 1.2 grams of fiber. Each serving consists of 4.4 net carbs.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken
To store this Caprese Chicken, keep in a plastic or glass container with an airtight lid and store in the fridge. To reheat, you could either warm in the oven at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, or in the microwave.
Other Caprese Recipes
Keto Chicken Recipes
- 4 small chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar glaze + more for drizzling
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season each side of the chicken breast with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and when sizzling, add the chicken and cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, set aside.
- Add the chicken broth to the skillet to deglaze the pan. Scrape up all the yummy bits in the bottom of the skillet and bring the broth to a simmer. Allow it to cook 5-6 minutes until it has reduced by half. Stir in the balsamic glaze and remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet, turn so each side is coated in the balsamic glaze. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and top the chicken with the mozzarella.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F. Top with basil and balsamic glaze to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast 1/2 cup tomatoes + glaze
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 263Total Fat: 14.6gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 900mgCarbohydrates: 5.6gNet Carbohydrates: 4.4gFiber: 1.2gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g