This Chicken Lazone recipe is a Cajun classic. Tender chicken breasts are smothered in a creamy sauce that has just the right amount of heat! This recipe is packed with delicious flavor and incredible texture. Whether you’re cooking for guests or preparing a weeknight meal, this is a great dish that is ready in less than 30 minutes!
Chicken Lazone is a recipe rooted in Louisiana cuisine. Cajun recipes are known for their bold flavors and this recipe is no different. Chicken Lazone blends chicken, cajun seasoning, and a heavy cream sauce to create a heavenly flavor combination. This may sound like a dish that requires considerable time and effort, but it is ready in less than 30 minutes!
This Chicken Lazone recipe is only 2.7 net carbs per serving. You can combine it with a low carb side to create a keto-friendly meal or pair it with pasta or rice for a delicious, well-rounded meal. This would be a great recipe to impress house guests and it’s convenience will make it a new household staple!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Amazing flavor. This recipe has an incredible, bold flavor that Cajun recipes are known for.
- Quick to Prepare. You can have this recipe ready in less than 30 minutes.
- Unique. This dish is not well known outside of Louisiana and would be great when hosting guests.
- Low Carb. This recipe only has 3.6 carbs per serving!
Ingredients for Cajun Chicken
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this chicken lazone recipe. For the complete, printable recipe scroll to the recipe card below.
- Chicken Breasts: this recipe uses 2 large chicken breast cut into 4 thinner breasts. This ensures they cook quickly and that the chicken is perfectly cooked in the sauce.
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Kosher salt, cayenne pepper, and dried oregano
- Olive oil: or another neutral oil such as avocado oil.
- Butter: butter is added to the sauce to create a texture and thickness similar to an Alfredo sauce.
- Heavy cream: the star of the show that makes an ultra rich sauce, do not substitute any other ingredients.
How to Make Chicken Lazone
In addition to the ingredients listed above, you will need a mixing bowl and skillet. To make the best chicken lazone follow the instructions below:
Season and Sear the Chicken
First, place the large chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice through the chicken as if you are butterflying, but cut all the way through. Next, combine the spices in a small bowl, and sprinkle each side of the chicken breast with the spices. Be sure to season the chicken on each side for the best results.
Next, heat a large skillet to medium heat. Next, add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Once the butter is melted, add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Make the Cream Sauce
Remove the chicken from the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the heavy cream and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Next, add the butter and allow the mixture to slowly come to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Do not cook the heavy cream too quickly or at too high of a temperature. You want to be gentle with the sauce to prevent it from burning or curdling.
Add Chicken to Sauce
After the sauce has simmered softly for 3-4 minutes add the chicken back to the skillet and cover. Next, cook the chicken over medium-low for 6-10 minutes. At this point, the sauce should be thickened somewhat similar to Alfredo sauce. The dish is done when the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. To reheat you can use the oven, microwave, or air fryer:
- Oven: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place the leftovers in an oven safe dish covered with foil. Warm for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and warm for another 5 minutes.
- Microwave: Place the leftovers on a plate and warm in 30 second increments until heated through.
- Air Fryer: Place the chicken in a lined air fryer and heat at 350 degrees for 4 minutes or until warmed through.
Transfer cooled leftovers into a freezer-safe container, pressing out as much air as possible. Enjoy within 3 months for the best taste and texture. To reheat frozen leftovers allow them to thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat covered at 300 degrees in an oven safe baking dish.
What to Serve With Chicken Lazone
- Keto Three Cheese Biscuits: These biscuits are perfectly soft and fluffy! Each low carb biscuit is loaded with sharp cheddar, mozzarella and fresh basil for just 2 net carbs each!
- Cheesy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon: These are made in one pan and perfect for entertaining! This easy vegetable side dish is low carb and keto-friendly!
- Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes: Your new go-to side dish! This easy potato recipe is ready in only 15 minutes and is packed with fresh herb flavor!
- Keto Dinner Rolls: You would never guess they are low carb! This homemade bread recipe is the perfect addition to your dinner table and only takes 30 minutes.
Tips for the Best Chicken Lazone
- Do not cook the heavy cream too quickly or at too high of a temperature. You want to be gentle with the sauce to prevent it from burning or curdling. (I know it has already been mentioned but this is very important)
- Do not use an alternative to heavy cream such as regular milk or almond milk.
- Be sure to sear the chicken until it is golden brown for the best taste.
- Allow the sauce to thicken for a creamy, indulgent sauce.
Yes, this recipe has only 2.7 net carbs per serving
Yes, see freezer instructions above.
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten free and low carb.
Yes, this recipe will work well with other cuts of chicken such as chicken thighs. It is also excellent with pork chops, salmon, or shrimp.
It is best to thaw the chicken before cooking.
One Pan Chicken Recipes
- Keto Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Jalapeño Popper Chicken Skillet (keto + low carb)
- The BEST Pollo con Queso
- Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Butter Chicken
- 2 large chicken breasts cut lengthwise to make 4 thinner breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Combine the spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle each side of the chicken breast with the spices.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. When the butter is melted add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir in the heavy cream and scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the butter and allow the mixture to slowly come to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When the sauce has simmered softly for 3-4 minutes add the chicken back to the skillet and cover.
- Cook the chicken over medium-low for 6-10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
be gentle with the sauce to prevent it from burning or curdling. Use a meat thermometer and once the chicken has reached a temperature of 165 degrees F remove this dish from heat. Net carbs are 2.7 g per serving