Follow this step by step guide to make the BEST Keto Pizza Crust Recipe! This crust is made from a fat head dough base and is low carb, grain and gluten free!
Life would be pretty sad without pizza. Now, if you are keto, low carb, or gluten free you don’t have to go without! This is the only Keto Pizza Crust recipe you will ever need! You can use any of your favorite toppings on this crust to make a pizza you love! Follow the step by step guide below for a low-carb 14-16″ crust (depending on how thin you stretch it).
Ingredients for Keto Pizza
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need to make the perfect keto pizza crust! To make low carb pizza you will need:
- Mozzarella Cheese: Grab a bag of regular, pre shredded mozzarella cheese, you don’t need fresh or fancy mozzarella for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: I suggest the brick style cream cheese for this recipe.
- Almond Flour: this is the brand I use. I do not suggest substituting coconut flour.
- Baking Powder and Salt: provides lift and rise to the crust and helps provide the perfect texture.
- Eggs: size large eggs are needed for this recipe.
How to Make Keto Pizza Crust
In addition to the ingredients above you will need a pizza pan, a microwave safe bowl and a spatula. Making the crust moves very quickly, so prep your ingredients first. To make the perfect pizza crust follow the steps below:
Prepare the Flour
In a bowl combine the almond flour, baking powder and salt until completely combined.
Beat the Eggs
In another bowl beat the eggs very well. Set aside.
Melt Mozzarella and Cream Cheese
In a large, microwave safe bowl add the mozzarella and cream cheese. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each cycle.
Add the Flour and Eggs
It may take 2-3 30 second cycles before the cheese has melted completely. When the cheese is completely melted and easy to stir add half of the almond flour and using a silicone spatula work it into the dough. Once a dough begins to form add the remaining flour and continue to stir. Use your spatula and create a well in the dough. Add the beaten egg and stir as best you can.
The dough will be lumpy and you will feel like it will never be smooth, but it will! After you’ve worked it as much as you can with the spatula use your clean hands to knead the dough until all the egg is incorporated. This may take up to 6-7 minutes.
Spread onto Pan
Spread the crust onto a greased pizza pan. Be sure to leave a bit of a rise around the edges for your crust. My pan is 14″, but the dough has enough stretch that you could spread it for a 16″ pizza if you preferred.
Pre-bake the Crust
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the crust without any toppings for 7 minutes. Once you have baked the crust remove it from the oven and if it has puffed up carefully poke a few holes in the crust to release the air.
Keto Pizza Toppings
Since the carb loaded portion of a pizza is the crust, most toppings are safe for a keto diet but I’ve broken things down below so you can build the best keto pizza!
- Meats: Popular keto-friendly pizza toppings include meats such as sausage, pepperoni, salami, bacon, and ham.
- Vegetables: bell pepper, red onion, black olives, mushrooms, spinach, kale, tomatoes or pepperoncini peppers.
- Cheeses: mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, asiago or feta.
- Sauces: low carb marinara, pesto, or Alfredo sauce.
If you like this keto pizza crust, try these other keto crust options:
- Keto Pizza Bagels – Chewy, crispy keto bagels make great mini pizza crusts, especially great for lunches and kids’ meals.
- How to make a Chaffle Pizza – These little individual pizzas are made using fluffy chaffles for the crust, so this is perfect for those who love a thick crust!
- Keto Pizza Muffins – An easy fathead dough fits all your favorite pizza toppings in this little muffin cup recipe.
- Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Pizza – Stretch that fathead dough for a thin pizza crust that gets perfectly crispy!
- Keto Fruit Pizza – When you’re craving a dessert pizza (SUCH a hit at kids’ parties!), this keto cookie crust is perfect!
Bagged, pre-shredded mozzarella is all you need for this recipe. I do not suggest a ball of fresh mozzarella, it just doesn’t melt the same and will not provide the same texture.
This recipe is formulated specifically for almond flour.
Yes, you can use a sheet pan verses a pizza pan.
Yes. We have grilled this keto pizza but it is necessary to grill it on the pizza pan and not directly on the grill.
Keto Pizza Crust Recipe
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
Review the photos above before you begin. Prep the ingredients before you start, because you need to work quickly with the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl add the almond flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat the eggs and set aside.
- In a large micorwave safe bowl add the shredded mozzarella and cream cheese. Micorwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until the cheese is completely melted and smooth.
- Add half the almond flour and stir well. Add the remaining almond flour and the beaten eggs. The mixture will be lumpy and you may feel like it will never come together, but it will! Stir well with a silicone spatula and when you have worked the dough as much as you can with the spatula use your clean hands to knead the dough until a soft, pliable ball has formed.
- Spread the dough onto a greased pizza pan.
- Pre-bake the crust 7 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and if it has puffed up carefully poke holes to deflat the crust.
- Add your toppings and bake the pizza 15-20 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the pizza is melted.