This Keto Cabbage Soup is a true low-carb winter staple! At just under 6 net carbs with Instant Pot, Slow Cooker and stove top instructions this is a keto soup perfect for any occasion!
I wanted to squeeze in one more keto soup recipe for you before we close out the year! This keto cabbage soup with ground beef is not only a delicious, hearty low-carb soup you will love, but it is also perfect for New Years!
As I mentioned a few days ago when I shared this easy one pan Cajun Pork Chops with Fried Cabbage, cabbage is a traditional ingredient served on New Year’s Day. Serving something like this low-carb cabbage soup is great on New Year’s because it serves eight.
Ingredients in Keto Cabbage Soup
This easy and delicious ground beef and cabbage soup is based off of my favorite One-Pan Cabbage Casserole. It has many of the same elements, like a spicy tomato sauce and great flavor from chili powder, which complements the cabbage so well.
For this recipe, you will need the following basic ingredients:
- Ground beef or turkey
- Bell Pepper
- Canned Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- Tomato Paste
- Beef Broth
How to Make Keto Cabbage Soup 3 Ways
One of my favorite things about this keto unstuffed cabbage soup recipe is how incredibly versatile it is. Keto cabbage soup can easily be made in an Instant Pot, slow cooker, or right on your stove top.
Each cooking method is listed below, with more details in the recipe card.
However, the general method is the same: cook the beef and drain off any fat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Cover and allow the cabbage to cook down and give the flavors a chance to meld.
1. Instant Pot Method
Here are the basic instructions for making Instant Pot cabbage soup:
- Use the sauté function and lightly spray the bottom of the pan.
- Brown the meat and drain off any grease, turn the sauté function off.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well.
- Secure the lid to the instant pot and make sure the steam valve is CLOSED. Set the pressure cooker cycle for 15 minutes.
- Once the cook time ends, allow the steam to naturally release for 5-10 minutes, then carefully release the steam manually.
2. Slow Cooker Method
Here are the basic instructions for making slow cooker cabbage soup:
- Brown meat in a large skillet, then drain off any grease.
- Add the cooked meat to the bottom of the slow cooker and then add remaining ingredients. Stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
3. Stove Top Method
Here are the basic instructions for making hamburger cabbage soup on the stovetop:
- Heat a large stockpot or dutch oven to medium heat, lightly spray the bottom.
- Brown the meat and drain off any grease.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir well.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30-40 minutes until the cabbage has reduced in size.
Can Cabbage Soup Be Frozen?
Technically yes, but I avoid freezing this low-carb cabbage soup because the cabbage often changes texture once frozen.
Can I Use Another Ground Meat?
Yes, of course! I made this as a hamburger cabbage soup recipe, but you may substitute ground chicken or turkey if desired.
Tips for the Best Ground Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Because cabbage is so hearty, the soup can be made a couple days before you plan on serving it. It reheats beautifully!
- I like to garnish individual bowls of cabbage soup with shredded cheddar and chopped chives.
- For a spicier keto cabbage soup, add extra chili powder or a pinch of red pepper flakes.
More Keto Cabbage Recipes:
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- Cajun Sausage and Cabbage Skillet
- Bacon Cheeseburger Cabbage Casserole
- One-Pan Taco Skillet
- One-Pan Cabbage Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 cups cabbage, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (32 ounce) container beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
Use the sauté function and lightly spray the bottom of the pan. Brown the meat and drain off any grease, turn the sauté function off.
Add remaining ingredients, stir well.
Secure the lid to the instant pot and make sure the steam valve is CLOSED.
Set the pressure cooker cycle for 15 minutes.
It will take the machine 15-20 minutes to get up to pressure before the 15 minute cook cycle begins. Once the cook time ends allow the steam to naturally release for 5-10 minutes, then carefully release the steam manually.
For slow cooker and stove top instructions see post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 8.8gCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2.2gProtein: 13.5g
Other Easy Keto Recipes
If you are new to Keto try my favorite Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites, they contain less than one net carb per bite and they are perfect for meal prep! One of my favorite easy low carb dinners is this One Pan Cabbage Casserole. It is so easy, cheesy and delicious and it has less than 9 net carbs per serving. Some other favorites, Keto Chocolate Cookies, Pimento Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Peppers and Sausage and Cream Cheese Pinwheels!