This Low Carb Cheesy Cabbage Casserole is a one pan, easy dinner ready in 30 minutes! The perfect easy keto dinner!
This is one of my favorite easy low carb dinner options. From start to finish it will be in on the table in 30 minutes and only required one pan, talk about easy! I think cabbage is an underused ingredient. I have always loved cabbage rolls. And my all time favorite cabbage soup because they are hardy, inexpensive meals that go a long way.
This One Pan Cabbage Casserole is a low carb version of the classic. Browned meat, chopped cabbage, tomatoes and spices come together to create a healthy, easy comfort food!
What is Cabbage Casserole?
This is basically a low carb spin on cabbage rolls. Generally cabbage rolls are pretty tedious. You separate cabbage leaves, then make a stuffing and then roll them into the cabbage leaves kind of like you would enchiladas. It is just an involved process.
This recipe has those same great flavors but utilizes chopped cabbage and it is all made in one pan which saves a ton of time. Also, this recipe leaves out the rice making it a great hearty low carb comfort food.
What ingredients do you need for low carb Cabbage Casserole?
This hearty low carb casserole may look like it has a lot of ingredients but really it just has a handful of basic ingredients, most of which are probably pantry staples. These ingredients include:
- Ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- Spices: chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Shredded cheese
You may have heard that things like tomatoes and onions are not allowed on a keto diet. However, I do not subscribe to the idea that certain things are “not allowed” as long as you enjoy them in moderation and can make them fit within your overall carb goals.
The onion, tomatoes and tomato sauce do add carbs, however the net carb count is still only 7.4 per serving. This will still fall well within a range that I would consider appropriate for a low carb, keto meal.
What are some other easy keto recipes?
You will love how easy this one pan meal is. It also reheats perfectly. If you are looking for more low carb one pan recipes try some of these:
- Keto Cheesy Jalapeño Chicken. It is packed with smokey, cheesy flavor and comes in around 4 net carbs per serving.
- Keto Steak Rolls, your meat and side dish rolled up into one low carb meal!
- Keto Sausage and Cabbage Skillet, this is the definition of easy! Smoked sausage and fried cabbage make for the ultimate low carb comfort food!
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken, perfect for busy nights! We have had these on “cheese shells” as tacos, in sweet peppers and just by itself with a salad and parmesan on top!
You can also chop the cabbage you aren’t going to use and freeze in a large freezer bag. The next time you want to make this recipe just pull it out a few minutes before cooking. This makes your groceries go a little further! I am all about easy, no waste cooking!
Other Easy Keto Recipes
If you are new to Keto try my favorite Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites, they contain less than one net carb per bite and they are perfect for meal prep! One of my favorite easy low carb dinners is this One Pan Cabbage Casserole. It is so easy, cheesy and delicious and it has less than 9 net carbs per serving. Some other favorites, Keto Chocolate Cookies, Pimento Cheese and Bacon Stuffed Peppers and Sausage and Cream Cheese Pinwheels!
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage chopped into medium chunks (roughly 3 cups)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies (undrained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack is our favorite)
In a medium size skillet brown your beef or turkey over medium heat, drain off any grease.
Add the diced onion and sauté 3-5 minutes.
Add the cabbage, tomatoes with green chili, tomato sauce, spices and stir well.
Cover and reduce heat to medium cooking for 15-18 minutes stirring occasionally.
Top with cheese!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 heaping cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 14.4gCarbohydrates: 9gNet Carbohydrates: 7.4gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 3.7gProtein: 18.9g