This Keto Meatloaf recipe is the perfect low-carb comfort food! You will love this easy dinner loaded with ground beef, vegetables, herbs, and a savory sauce!
Easy and Juicy Homemade Meatloaf
Meatloaf is one of the most comforting foods in the world. Unfortunately, most meatloaves are super dry and pretty bland and also filled with gluten. This keto meatloaf recipe solves all of those issues. This ground beef recipe isn’t dry at all and has so much flavor, with the addition of fresh herbs, onions, garlic, and a sauce that’s sweet and tangy. And this recipe uses almond flour in place of breadcrumbs, making it gluten-free and great for anyone following a keto diet.
This recipe has more flavor than most meatloaves, yet it’s still really easy to make. It’s packed with tons of different flavors and seasonings, but most of the ingredients are things that you probably already have at home. Next time you need a beefy keto-friendly meal, you’ve got to give this meatloaf a try.
Why You’ll Love This Gluten-Free Ground Beef Meatloaf
I make this keto meatloaf all the time. Here are some of the reasons why I know you’ll love it.
- Storable. One of the best things about this recipe is that it tastes even better after it’s been sitting in the fridge for a day or two. So you can make a large batch and have leftovers all through the week.
- Juicy. You’ve probably had plenty of meatloaves before that are too dry. It’s a common problem with meatloaf recipes. But this keto meatloaf solves that problem. The almond flour absorbs the juice from the beef and the applesauce, keeping the meatloaf moist and tender. Plus, the sauce on top of the meatloaf provides additional moisture.
- Protein-packed. This is a great recipe for anyone who is keto, or even just anyone trying to eat a low-carb diet. There’s so much meat in a single serving, and not a whole lot else!
Ingredients for Meatloaf
Here are all the ingredients that you’ll need to make this sweet and tangy meatloaf. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
For the Keto Meatloaf:
- Ground Beef: you can use regular beef or lean beef.
- Onion: I use a yellow onion for this recipe, but white and red onions will work fine.
- Fresh parsley: adds flavor and depth to the dish.
- Garlic: freshly minced garlic is best for this recipe.
- Eggs: size large eggs
- Applesauce: Make sure to use unsweetened and unflavored applesauce. This helps to keep this dish extra moist and ensures your meatloaf doesn’t dry out as it cooks.
- Almond flour: you want to use blanched almond flour.
- Spices: garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper
For the Sauce:
- Canned tomato sauce: be sure to use tomato sauce that doesn’t have salt added.
- Apple cider vinegar: this balances the sweet and acidic ingredients used in the sauce.
- Worcestershire sauce: adds the perfect kick!
- Onion powder: helps to add depth and flavor.
- Applesauce: make sure that the applesauce you use is unsweetened and unflavored.
- Kosher salt: a true flavor maker.
How to Make Keto Meatloaf
This recipe is straightforward and easy to make. In addition to the ingredients listed above you will also need a mixing bowl, spatula, and loaf pan. This is really handy to help you get the meatloaf out of the pan, but it isn’t required. Ready to get started? Here is how we make the best Keto Meatloaf!
Mix the Seasonings
In a medium to large size mixing bowl combine the chopped onion, parsley, garlic, eggs, apple sauce, almond flour, and spices. Mix the ingredients until completely combined.
Add the Beef
Put the ground beef in the bowl with the seasonings, and mix until everything is well combined. This can be difficult to do with a spatula or spoon. If you need to use your hands to mix the ingredients. Remember, the key to a moist meatloaf is to make sure the wet ingredients are mixed well with the beef.
Add Mixture to Pan
Place the beef mixture in the loaf pan and smooth the meatloaf until it is flat on top. I love to use this loaf pan that has a handy tray. This means you can easily pull the meatloaf out of the dish, but it also helps to ensure the grease is drained away from the meatloaf. It is perfect for ensuring you aren’t serving a greasy dish.
Make the Sauce
Next, you need to make the sauce that spread over the top of the meatloaf. Some meatloaf sauces are super sweet because they are ketchup based. This sauce isn’t overly sweet. Instead it has a great savory flavor that really compliments the meat. To make the sauce add all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl, and whisk to combine.
Top with Sauce and Bake
The final step is to spread the sauce over the top of the meatloaf and bake! Put the meatloaf in a 375 degrees F to the center of the oven and bake for 60-70 minutes, or until the meat is 165F in the middle. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving.
This rich meatloaf is best served with some side dishes that bring new flavors to the table, like cheese or vegetables. Here are some of my favorite foods to serve with keto meatloaf.
- Crispy Green Bean Fries
- Cheesy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- Broccoli Cheddar Muffins
- Cheesy Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Air Fryer Broccoli
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
Here are a few different ways that you can make this keto meatloaf perfect every time.
- Mix with your hands. When mixing the seasonings into the ground beef, use your hands rather than a spoon. That will ensure that the seasonings are evenly spread through the meat. Make sure that your hands are thoroughly washed before and after, or use food-safe gloves.
- Be flexible with the meat. This recipe calls for 2 pounds of ground beef. But since the meatloaf is really just beef and seasonings, you don’t need to be particular about the amount of meat you use. If, for instance, the container of beef at your grocery store is only 1.8 pounds, or a little more than 2 pounds, then that’s totally fine.
- Room temperature eggs. For best results, use room-temperature eggs in this recipe. When eggs are at room temperature they mix better with other ingredients. That makes the texture of this meatloaf smoother.
- Mix up the herbs. Fresh parsley goes so well with this recipe, but most other herbs do, too. If you want to add extra flavor to this meatloaf, just throw in some of your favorite herbs.
- Change the meat. Ground beef is my favorite meat for meatloaf. But you can use other types of meat if you prefer, such as chicken, turkey, pork, veal, or lamb.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Meatloaf
You can keep leftover keto meatloaf in the fridge for up to 4 days if you store it in an airtight container. To reheat, place the meatloaf in a pan, and drizzle a little bit of beef or chicken stock on top of it. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake in a 250F oven for 20 minutes.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
Yes, this is a great gluten-free meal to freeze. Store it in an airtight container and it will last in the freezer for 6 months. Thaw or defrost before reheating.
More Easy Keto Ground Beef Recipes
If you’re anything like me, then you just can’t get enough ground beef. If that’s the case, check out some of my other favorite beefy keto recipes.
- Cheeseburger Casserole Skillet
- Cabbage and Beef Soup
- Keto Tacos
- Bacon Cheeseburger Quesadillas
- Taco Salad
For the Meatloaf:
- 2 pounds ground beef (lean or normal)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup no-salt added canned tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat your oven to 375F and grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan. You can also line a pan with parchment paper that hangs over the edges, to make it easy to remove the meatloaf.
- In a large bowl, add all of the meatloaf ingredients except the ground beef, and mix with a spoon.
- Add the ground beef to the bowl and use your hands to mix everything together.
- Transfer the meat to the loaf pan and smooth the top into an even layer.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a mixing bowl (it can be the same bowl you used earlier) and whisk to combine.
- Spread the sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake the meatloaf in the center rack of the oven for 60-70 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Cool the meatloaf on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving. This will allow the meatloaf to firm up so it stays in one piece when slice it.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days, or in the freezer for 6 months.
- To reheat, add slices of meatloaf to a baking dish, and drizzle with beef or chicken broth. Cover with aluminum foil and heat in a 250F oven for 20 minutes.
- The meat amount is not exact. It's totally fine if you have a little more or a little less than 2 pounds.
- Lean beef will fall apart a little more easily than regular ground beef, but both work great.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 15gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 498mgCarbohydrates: 6.4gNet Carbohydrates: 5.3gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 2.4gProtein: 25g