This easy Keto Taco Salad is easy, delicious, and healthy! Top your favorite greens with seasoned meat, tomato, avocado, peppers, and more for a lunch or dinner full of flavor and about 7 net carbs.
Low Carb Taco Salad
This Taco Salad is perfect for a quick low carb meal! A bed of crunchy greens topped with tender meat, juicy tomatoes, peppery radishes, and creamy avocado — This is not your boring average salad. Drizzle the delicious, easily-customizable dressing over for a super flavorful, healthy lunch or dinner!
Any type of seasoned taco meat with work for this recipe, so you can switch it up with different proteins if you’d like. You can enjoy this with the entire salad cold or with the meat warmed up. It’s an easy recipe to have on hand for meal prepping, too!
Ingredients for Keto Taco Salads
As always, here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact amounts, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card.
- Salad Mix – I like some crunch, so I used a romaine, cabbage, and red cabbage mix.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Chopped in halves. You can use other types of tomatoes, just make sure to keep them bite-sized.
- Avocado – Diced. Adds a great smooth texture that works especially well with the dressing!
- Bell Pepper – Chopped. I used green (fewer carbs, easily available), but you could use red, orange, or yellow if you prefer.
- Radishes – Sliced. These add a great crunch as well as a peppery flavor to the entire salad.
- Taco Meat – Cooked. Ground beef is often the easiest, but you could use turkey, chicken, steak, fish, shrimp, shredded beef, or pork!
- Cheddar Cheese – Shredded. You could also use a Mexican blend or sprinkle extra cotija cheese on top.
- Red onion – Enhances all the flavors and brightens the salad up. Complements the dressing very well.
- Dressing – I mixed together sour cream and hot sauce, but you could use this Jalapeno Ranch instead.
How to make Keto Taco Salad
You’ll love how easy this Taco Salad is! To get these on the table as quick as possible, prep the recipe by cooking your taco meat and chopping you veggies (not avocado) the day before. Here’s a step-by-step guide for the best keto salad.
Add the Greens
Divide the greens among 4 large salad bowls. I use a mixture of lettuce and cabbage, but you will need 2 cups of your preferred greens in the bottom of each bowl. Top the greens with the onion, bell pepper and avocado.
Add Taco Meat
Add the seasoned, cooked taco meat to the salad. You can use your favorite variety, or my favorite Homemade Taco seasoning, it is low carb, gluten free and contains basic pantry staples. One thing to remember is to consider the temperature of your taco meat. If it is piping hot it will wilt the salad greens below it slightly.
Add Cheese, Tomatoes and Dressing
Finish the salad off by adding the shredded cheese and chopped tomatoes! For the dressing I use a mixture of sour cream and hot sauce and do this individually in each bowl to control the spice level. However, if you can certainly mix the ingredients together and then serve. If you want a different flavor this Jalapeño Ranch Dressing is an excellent option!
If you like a good crunch and want to add more of a taco feel, crush up Keto Tortilla Chips and add to the salad! You could enjoy some Smoked Queso, Roasted Tomatillo and Jalapeno Salsa, or Avocado Bacon Dip–Just be conscious of the serving sizes and carb count.
Store your salad ingredients separately so that the wet ingredients do not cause the salad greens to wilt. The avocado will not last long, so it’s best to have fresh avocado for your leftovers.
You can’t freeze salad, but you can freeze cooked meat. Simply cook several pounds of taco meat, allow it to cool, then bag it up in 1 pound portions. Freeze these for an easy protein to add to your salad any time!
You can either enjoy the salad with cold meat (especially easy for lunches) or you can warm it up. If you prefer your taco meat to be warm, make sure you heat it up separately from the salad. Do not warm up the salad.
If you enjoy these Keto Taco Salads, you’ll love these recipes:
- Keto Taco Bites – Under 1 net carb each and PERFECT for meal prepping! Easy to freeze, easy to transport, easy to reheat. Super kid-friendly, too!
- Cheesy Keto Taco Soup – Bean-free and the best belly-warming bowl you’ll have! Under 6 net carbs per bowl, too.
- Easy Keto Nachos – Cheesy, salty, and topped with all your nacho favorites! Great for movie night and under 3 net carbs per serving.
- Shrimp Con Queso – This sizzling skillet is ready in 20 minutes, ridiculously tasty, and under 5 net carbs per serving.
- Keto Sour Cream Enchiladas – Whether you make these with low-carb tortillas or use the deli chicken hack, these are AMAZING!
- 40+ Keto Mexican Food Recipes
FAQs about Taco Salad
To add a crunchy texture, try crumbled pork rinds or keto tortilla chips (linked in post).
You can make your taco meat ahead of time, but it’s not a good idea to assemble the salad ahead of time. Wet ingredients will cause the greens to wilt, and the avocado will brown over time.
Yes, this keto salad works great for jar salads! First, add your dressing, tomatoes, red onion, radishes, and bell peppers. Then add your taco meat, avocado, and shredded cheese. Finally, top with the salad greens so that they stay as dry as possible until you’re ready to eat.
- 8 cups salad mix
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped in halves
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup radish, sliced
- 1 pound seasoned taco meat (already prepared)*
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup sour cream + 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste) OR Jalapeno Ranch (link in notes)
- Divide your salad mix up into 4 bowls, then top each with 1/4th of the remaining salad ingredients.
- Mix your sour cream and hot sauce (or prepare your jalapeno ranch), then drizzle that over your salads. Toss to coat, then serve.
* Keto taco seasoning recipe: https://www.maebells.com/easy-homemade-taco-seasoning/
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 20.6gCholesterol: 100.8mgSodium: 410.2mgCarbohydrates: 13.3gNet Carbohydrates: 7.5gFiber: 5.8gSugar: 4.4gProtein: 35.1g