This Keto Cabbage and Sausage Hash is an incredibly hearty low-carb, high-protein breakfast! At under 5 net carbs per serving, this dish takes similar to a traditional breakfast hash without the carbs!
My cousin, Katie, has been following a keto diet. She text me recently and said if she say another egg she thought she would die. Girlfriend, I’m with ya! I have hit those roadblocks where I just cannot eat any more eggs or cheese.
Usually, the only way to shake it is to try them a new and different way. This very easy Keto Sausage and Cabbage Breakfast Hash was just what I needed to get out of my funk with eggs. This resembles a traditional potato hash surprisingly well!
A traditional breakfast hash typically features potatoes, onions, and peppers all fried until crispy and then topped with fried eggs.
However, this cabbage and smoked sausage hash features a bed of smoked sausage and fried cabbage topped with eggs. It is hearty, inexpensive and easy! This is the perfect keto breakfast, or even to serve as an easy dinner!
Ingredients in Fried Cabbage and Sausage Hash
To make this low-carb, high-protein breakfast hash, you’ll need:
- Smoked sausage
- Salt and pepper
- Onion powder
How to Make Fried Cabbage and Sausage Hash
This is a quick keto breakfast recipe that you can have on the table in no time! Here’s a look at how this sausage and cabbage breakfast hash is made:
- Heat an oiled 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the sliced smoked sausage until lightly crisp. Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
- Add butter, garlic, chopped cabbage, and spices and stir well. Fry cabbage to your desired tenderness.
- When the cabbage reaches your desired texture, add the cooked sausage and stir until heated through.
- In another skillet, cook the eggs the way you prefer.
- Top the Keto sausage hash with the egg. Serve immediately.
What Type of Sausage Should I Use?
Any kind you’d like! Any cooked, smoked sausage will work.
Tips for Making a Keto Breakfast Hash
- If you would like more crunch, cook the cabbage for about 3-4 minutes. If you like your cabbage very tender, it will need to cook closer to 10 minutes.
- I prefer using my cast iron skillet to make this cabbage and sausage hash. It distributes heat evenly, so I rarely burn anything when I use it.
- This keto breakfast hash is best enjoyed right away. However, leftovers can be reheated on the stovetop. I recommend cooking the eggs fresh each time you reheat the cabbage hash mixture.
More Keto Breakfasts to Try:
If you guys are like me you might like an example of what a complete keto meal looks like. So here are some ideas of what a keto breakfast under 7 net carbs might be:
- One heaping serving of this Keto Sausage Breakfast Hash
- Keto Mocha Frappuccino and three Keto Sausage Egg and Cheese Bites = just under 7 net carbs
- Keto Coffee Frappuccino, two Keto Sausage Cream Cheese Rolls and one hard boiled egg = roughly 6 net carbs
- Four Keto Almond Flour Sausage Balls and two scrambled eggs and an 8 ounce glass of unsweetened almond milk = roughly 5 net carbs
- Steak and Eggs and black coffee = roughly 2 net carbs
- Two BLT Lettuce Wraps and an Almond Butter Frappuccino = 7 net carbs
- Two Keto Cinnamon Rolls (seriously!!!) two slices of bacon and one egg over easy = under 5 net carbs
- Two Keto Ham and Cheese Muffins with a Coffee Frappuccino =under 7 net carbs
I hope that is as helpful for you as it is for me! I find it really hard to visualize such small carb amounts because we are so used to seeing breakfast options being high in carbs like cereals and pastries.
However, you can definitely have a filling keto breakfast under 7 net carbs if you choose your carbs wisely!
More Cabbage Recipes:
- Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- Keto Cabbage & Beef Soup
- Keto Sausage & Cabbage Foil Packs
- Low Carb Taco Cabbage Skillet
- Keto Bacon Wrapped Cabbage
Keto Sausage and Cabbage Breakfast Hash
- 1 12 ounce package of smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 cups cabbage chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 onion powder
- 1/4 paprika
- 4 eggs
- Heat a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Brown the sliced smoked sausage until lightly crisp.
Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
Add butter, garlic, chopped cabbage, and spices and stir well. Fry cabbage to your desired tenderness. If you would like more crunch this will take 3-4 minutes. If you like your cabbage very tender it will cook closer to 10 minutes.
When the cabbage reaches your desired texture add the cooked sausage and stir until heated through.
- In another skillet (or transfer your cabbge mixture to a serving dish and use the same skillet) heat to medium heat and spray with cooking spray or an additional 1 tablespoon of butter and cook the eggs the way you prefer (I did sunny side up) top Keto Sausage Hash with the egg. Serve immediately.