This easy Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole is super filling and full of healthy ingredients! Tender mushrooms, peppers, onions, and kale pair perfectly with your favorite sausage, eggs, and cheese.
Sausage and Veggie Breakfast Casserole
A good Low Carb Breakfast Casserole can make all the difference for a productive, busy day! This delicious casserole is full of onions, peppers, kale, mushrooms, and garlic for loads of nutrients and fresh flavor. Your favorite sausage (I chose turkey chorizo) adds just the right amount of moisture and spice, too. Add a little hot sauce and some melty cheddar cheese for the BEST breakfast!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Easy – This recipe requires a lot of chopping, but it’s very simple and flexible. Beginner cooks don’t need to worry about perfect knife skills, so this one is great for practice. Kids who love to be kitchen helpers will love whisking and pouring the eggs.
- Healthy – American breakfasts are often loaded with sugar, but this one is packed with veggies! The variety of ingredients gives you balanced nutrition and helps keep you full for MUCH longer than a few donuts would! It’s also gluten-free and low-carb.
- Meal prep friendly – Chopping all your veggies and cooking your sausage the night before will make this an easy dump-and-bake recipe in the morning! You can even freeze individual portions so you’ll have an easy, healthy breakfast ready to go anytime.
Low Carb Breakfast Casserole Ingredients
Here’s a quick overview of what you’ll need for this recipe. For exact measurements, keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Sausage – I used turkey chorizo, but you can use breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, even chicken apple sausage for a sweeter flavor! Pork, turkey, or chicken sausage will work fine. You can cook this ahead of time to shave 10-15 minutes off breakfasttime in the morning!
- Yellow onion, red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and kale – These nutritional powerhouses add tons of flavor and great texture to this casserole! You can easily use your favorite type of veggies to make this more convenient, too. Chopping these up ahead of time can help speed this recipe up in the morning, too.
- Large eggs – If cholesterol is a concern, feel free to replace some egg yolks with egg whites! Replacing ALL the egg yolks would change the texture quite a bit (more airy, not so rich or moist), though, so consider only replacing half.
- Plain Greek yogurt, milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper – These combine with the eggs to keep the casserole moist and flavorful! I used almond milk, but you can use the milk of your choice (coconut milk would work great with chicken apple sausage). I used sriracha hot sauce, but this can be swapped out for your favorite, too.
- Cheddar cheese – Shredded. Feel free to replace with your favorite type of cheese or use a mixture of multiple flavors.
How to make a breakfast casserole low carb
This is a simple recipe that can be meal prepped to save time! Here’s a step-by-step guide with tips and suggestions. I have documented each step of this recipe so you can make the perfect hearty breakfast casserole at home!
Cook & crumble sausage
In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook your preferred ground sausage. Break up the meat as it cooks, crumbling it and ensuring it’s cooked through. Drain excess oil from the sausage, then transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
While the sausage is cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish and set it aside.
Mix with vegetables
Add the diced onion and bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, and chopped kale to the mixing bowl with the sausage. Toss or stir with a spatula until veggies and meat are well mixed. Pour this combination into the greased baking dish.
Add egg mixture
Now that the bowl is empty, whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Fold in 3/4ths of the cheese, then pour this mixture over the sausage and vegetables in the baking dish.
Toss or fold the ingredients to distribute the cheese and coat everything in egg. Finally, top with remaining shredded cheese.
Add the baking dish to the preheated oven and cook 40-45 minutes. Once cheese is melted and the eggs are completely cooked through, remove from the oven. Allow the casserole to sit for a few minutes, then serve!
What to serve with a breakfast casserole?
This breakfast casserole is super nutritious and can easily be served all on its own with sour cream, avocados, and maybe a few cherry tomatoes if you’d like! Add a keto coffee (we highly recommend this Peppermint Mocha Frappuccino) for a caffeine boost! Simple keto biscuits stretch this casserole even further and can be made ahead of time for your convenience.
More low-carb breakfast sides:
- Keto Pumpkin Spice Muffins (or pancakes)
- Cinnamon Rolls (or chaffles)
- Bacon Roses (okay, this one’s just for fun)
- Lemon Chia Pudding (or Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits)
- Keto Breakfast Chaffle Toast
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days. If you want it to last longer, wrap individual portions in multiple layers of plastic wrap, then freeze in a freezer bag. You can bake in an aluminum pan and freeze the entire casserole for a second meal, too! This makes holiday travel and visiting SO easy… Just bake and freeze weeks before, let it thaw in the fridge, and reheat in the oven when you’re ready!
Individual portions reheat easiest in the microwave–Simply place on a plate and reheat in 30-second increments. To reheat the entire dish, place in the oven at 350 degrees F (covered to prevent too much browning) for about 10 minutes. Remove the cover in the final 2-3 minutes so the cheese can get nice and bubbly again.
If you love this breakfast casserole, you’ll love these low-carb recipes!
- Easy Keto Breakfast Casserole – This is a more kid-friendly, less nutritious, and lower-carb casserole option. Sausage, eggs, and cheese remain the star!
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole – If you want some veggies but not ALL the veggies, here’s a great compromise! Sausage, eggs, and cheese are paired perfectly with spinach and bell peppers.
- 5-Ingredient Keto Sausage Balls – Another great, low-carb option perfect for having company during breakfast. These are easy to make ahead of time and easy to share!
- Keto Sausage and Cabbage Breakfast Hash – Super simple and healthy; this is a great keto breakfast! This is easy to reheat, too, so feel free to make enough for the week.
- Chorizo Breakfast Scramble – If you don’t have the time for a casserole but want a spicy, egg-based breakfast, this is perfect for you!
- Spinach & Sausage Quiche – These always look so impressive and are perfect for a festive brunch! These make great midday snacks over the holiday season, too.
- Want more? Check this list for keto breakfasts or this list for the PERFECT low-carb holiday breakfasts (great for company).
Low Carb Casserole FAQs
Yes, this makes a great freezer breakfast! We love making one ahead of holidays. It’s a healthy, low-carb dish that makes hosting company easy. Freeze in an aluminum pan (after it cools completely) or wrap individual servings in multiple layers of plastic wrap before storing in a freezer bag. It’ll keep for 2-3 months.
Ground sausage (whether made from pork, chicken, turkey, or a mix) has the perfect texture for casseroles! Pick one with a flavor profile you love, then go from there.
If you have plain ground pork and want to add breakfast seasoning, this is a great keto-friendly breakfast sausage recipe. You can use hot sausage and pepper jack for spice lovers, Italian sausage and mozzarella for a Mediterranean vibe, or chicken apple sausage with gouda for a sweet-and-savory flavor!
- 1 lb breakfast sausage or chorizo*
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup low carb plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk of choice
- 2 tbsp hot sauce (use your favorite!)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish. Cook and crumble the sausage in a large skillet, drain, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, garlic, and kale to the mixing bowl with the sausage and toss to combine. Pour the vegetables into the greased baking dish.
- In a large bowl (you can use the same one you just used for the sausage and vegetables), whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in 1 ½ cups of the cheddar cheese, then pour the egg mixture over the vegetables. Toss to coat the vegetables and sausage in the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese over the casserole, then bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the eggs are cooked through. Serve!
*Shave 10-15 minutes from the cooking time if you cook and drain your sausage ahead of time!
- I used turkey chorizo, but you can use any type of ground sausage. Italian, breakfast, hot, even apple sausage would work for a spicy-sweet combination!
- This casserole is very nutrient-dense meaning that even a small portion will help fill you up!
- Delicious served with avocado, sour cream/Greek yogurt, and salsa.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1/10th
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 294Total Fat: 18.4gCholesterol: 287mgSodium: 801mgCarbohydrates: 5.7gNet Carbohydrates: 4.7gFiber: 1gSugar: 2.7gProtein: 25.6g