This Easy Michelada Brunch Cocktail is the perfect low-carb drink! Just 5 net carbs in this delicious, low alcohol cocktail.
If you’re looking for a low-carb drink perfect for brunch, this Michelada is for you! It has only 55 calories and comes in under 5 net carbs, so this isn’t your average diet-buster cocktail. Only 4 ingredients are needed for this drink, so it comes together super easily in no time.
This drink is a type of “red beer,” a cocktail that combines beer with a tomato-based juice. These are popular because they contain a fairly low amount of alcohol but a high amount of vitamins and nutrients. For these same reasons, these Micheladas are seen as a hangover cure and might make you feel better after a long night.
Ingredients for a Michelada
Here’s a quick overview of the ingredients you’ll need. Keep scrolling down to the printable recipe card for exact measurements.
- Lime Juice – Unsweetened. Freshly squeezed is always nice, but bottled works fine as well.
- Hot Sauce – Tabasco or Cholula hot sauces complement the tomato juice perfectly, but other types can be used as well.
- Tomato Juice – Unsweetened, low sodium. The higher fiber content in tomato juice makes it a better option than V8 or clamato juice.
- Corona Premier – Any low-carb Mexican beer will work. The Corona Premier has only 2.6 net carbs, so it keeps the drink under 5 net carbs.
How to make a Michelada
This recipe is mixed right in the glass, so you don’t need a shaker or any fancy equipment. Here’s a quick step-by-step guide.
Cut a lime and use it to wet the rim of your pint glass. Press rim into a layer of salt and cracked pepper. Fill glass with ice.
Pour in the lime juice as well as the hot sauce. Add in the tomato juice, then fill glass to the top with beer. Give it a good stir and enjoy!
Micheladas make the perfect brunch beverage, so start the day with some spicy favorites like a Chorizo Breakfast Scramble or a Breakfast Burrito. For a fun weekend happy hour, try it with some Green Chile Taquitos! To enjoy with a light dinner, serve with some Salmon in Jalapeno Lime Butter or this Green Chili Stuffed Chicken.
If you like this brunch cocktail, you’ll love these keto drinks:
- Pickleback Cocktail – Pickle juice might be a weird ingredient to some, but it is PERFECT in the keto diet and in this drink!
- Keto Moscow Mule – This ginger spiced drink is super refreshing and can go with so many different types of cuisines.
- Spicy Watermelon Keto Margarita – A good sweet-spicy-sour cocktail for just about any occasion! This can be made more or less spicy based on your preferences, too.
- Vanilla Bourbon Iced Latte – Get your coffee buzz and your alcohol buzz at the same time with this tasty, creamy beverage. Perfect for brunches and holiday mornings, too!
- The Best Keto Cocktails
FAQ’s about Micheladas
A michelada most often comes in a pint glass or larger mug.
A michelada can fit into your keto diet without too much fuss! Make sure your Mexican beer is a light, low-carb version (Corona Premier has just 2.6 net carbs). Also, use unsweetened tomato juice instead of clamato juice to lower the net carb count and reduce artificial sugars.
As with most juice, it’s not recommended to have a lot of tomato juice. However, in small amounts it’s not a bad ingredient for a keto diet. The higher fiber content makes tomato juice better than v8 or clamato juice option.
A michelada can help ease the symptoms of a hangover with the rich nutrients in the tomato and lime juice. The quicker you can replace those vitamins and minerals, the quicker you’ll begin to feel better.
Easy Michelada Brunch Cocktail
This Easy Michelada Brunch Cocktail is the perfect low-carb drink for your next party! Just 5 net carbs in this delicious, low alcohol cocktail similar to a Bloody Mary.
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 5-6 dashes hot sauce
- 2.5 ounces tomato juice
- 3+ ounces Corona Premier Beer (or other low-carb Mexican beer)
For the rim
- coarse salt and cracked pepper
- Wet the rim of a pint glass and lightly press it in cracked pepper and coarse salt. Fill with ice.
- Add lime juice, hot sauce, and tomato juice to the glass. Fill to the top with beer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 10-ounce drink
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 55Total Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 106.7mgCarbohydrates: 5.6gNet Carbohydrates: 4.8gFiber: 0.8gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g