This easy Jalapeño Popper Chicken Skillet is a satisfying cheesy, low carb casserole! At under 3 net carbs per serving this will be a new favorite!
My week has been insane. Do you guys ever just have weeks like that? Where you can’t catch a breath? It all started with one of our dogs. Bless her heart, she just will never learn that skunks do NOT love her back!
So there I was on a Sunday night, 9 p.m., hosing and washing this 110-pound stink bomb. Promising for the rest of the week, right? Things never really went up from there. I was putting out fires left and right.
To top it all off, I still had to feed myself and Mr. Maebell! Don’t get me wrong, Mr. Maebell can make a great burger or steak, but sometimes I’m just not feeling that.
So after another whirlwind of a Wednesday, I whipped up this Jalapeno Popper Chicken Skillet. I wanted something fast, easy and packed with flavor and… I nailed it, y’all.
This Chicken Skillet recipe is packed with cheddar and jalapenos, but still keeps me on my keto diet, which I love. It also comes together in one pan, which is the dream, right?
Ingredients for Jalapeno Popper Chicken Skillet:
Cream cheese and cheddar combined with Jalapenos bring this easy skillet meal to the table with everyone’s forks ready to go. You could also easily meal prep this recipe to make it beforehand!
Bring your family together over this one pan keto meal that everyone will love! We paired it with this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice and everyone cleared their plates! No leftovers in this house! To make this recipe you will need:
- Butter: salted or unsalted
- Minced Garlic and Jalapeño: be sure to seed the jalapeños!
- Almond Milk and Heavy Cream: if not keto, regular milk works fine for this recipe.
- Cream Cheese: regular or reduced fat.
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt and pepper
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: Colby-Jack or another variety if you prefer.
- Shredded Chicken: You can use a rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken. I meal prep shredded chicken with this slow cooker recipe.
How do you make Jalapeno Popper Chicken?
To start this easy dish, heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add butter, garlic, and jalapeno, then sauté.
Next, pour in your almond milk, cream, cream cheese, spices. Once everything is mixed well, add your cheddar cheese and stir until it creates a beautiful, melty, cheesy sauce.
Finally, stir in shredded chicken to get the entire mixture well combined. Top with more cheese, cover the skillet, and reduce heat to low. Allow mixture to simmer 10 minutes or until the cheese has completely melted.
Is this a good recipe for keto meal prep?
Yes, this is a great recipe for meal prepping! It’s not a freezer meal, but it does have several components that can be prepared anywhere from 1-7 days before you plan to eat the dish. This will help save you time and a bit of sanity if your week is like mine!
If you have a “meal prep day,” all you need to do that day is cook/shred your chicken and make your sauce. Cooked chicken will last 3-4 days in the fridge, and this sauce will be good for a week. Having these two parts ready to go means this meal can be on the table in less than 20 minutes!
You can buy and shred a rotisserie chicken if you’d like. This Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken cooks in 4-8 hours with little-to-no effort and is a perfect base recipe for casseroles, wraps, and skillets like this one!
You could also pack a TON more flavor into this dish if you’d like to grill the chicken instead! This Grilled Jalapeno Lime Chicken would pair perfectly with the flavors we’re adding here!
What should I serve with this Keto Jalapeno Popper Chicken?
One of the best things about this recipe is the creamy, cheesy sauce! You definitely want to pair this with a side that can soak up all this flavor and make it even better.
For that, my top recommendation is this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice. It perfectly complements the jalapeno and cheese in this dish! Here are some of my other favorite keto sides for this:
- Veggie Fries: You could use Zucchini, Green Beans, or even Carrots!
- Low-Carb Biscuits: I LOVE these Three-Cheese Biscuits, but the crunch of these Bacon Cheddar Chive Biscuits is excellent, too!
- Roasted Vegetables: Crispy roasted veggies would be perfect to dip in this sauce! I’m thinking Broccoli, Cauliflower, or Brussels Sprouts (or even Radishes!)
How to Store and Reheat this Keto Chicken Recipe:
This one is super simple! Just keep the leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring and checking before heating again.
More Quick Keto Dinners:
- One Pan Keto Green Chili Chicken
- Keto Lasagna Skillet
- Cajun Pork Chops with Fried Cabbage
- Easy Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Keto Chicken Zucchini Stir-Fry
- One Pan Mushroom Skillet
Need more recipes? Here are 20+ Quick Keto Meals!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Skillet (keto + low carb)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup jalapeño seeded and chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter, add the garlic and jalapeño and sauté at least one minute.
- Add almond milk, heavy cream, cream cheese, spices and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Whisk mixture until it is smooth andj cheese has melted.
- Stir in shredded chicken and top with remaining cheddar. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, additional jalapeño slices or avocado.